Heat Issue With i7 4820k Ivy Bridge?

FatBird11

Reputable
May 4, 2014
I'm using CPUID to monitor the temperatures of my CPU.

Some of the maximum temperatures I'm getting seem a bit unsettling. After playing certain games for a while, I'm getting maximum temperature readings in the high 70s and even into the low 80s (Celsius).

I have four case fans. Three are exhaust (two blowing upward, one to the rear, one intake on the side). I'm cooling with a XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm.

I've tried seating the heat sink onto the CPU again (after cleaning, and reapplying thermal paste). The temperatures still seem to be too high.

Here is a link to some of my results, after playing about half an hour of Guild Wars 2.

I do not know what to do.

Arcanine300

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Well you could undervolt your cpu from the bios to reduce temperature or get a better heatsink. What gpu do you have as if your gpu is kicking out a lot of heat then that could warm up your cpu.

FatBird11

Reputable
May 4, 2014

My video card is an XFX Double D FX-795A-TDFC Radeon HD 7950 3GB. It's a Radeon HD 7950 GPU.

Arcanine300

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I most likely think that your problem lies with the processor. I think the ihs is not making proper connection with the cpu die. Notice how two of your cpu cores are higher temperature than the other two and how core 2 is way lower temperature than the rest. This probably means that the thermal paste that connect the ihs to the die is not evenly spread out and some of the die has more than the other side. Fixing this problem is pretty hard and you risk breaking your cpu so i suggest you just get a big heatsync (like a noctua dh-15) or you get a closed loop water cooling system (like a corsair h70). Your cpu is in the operating temperature so its not at much risk. Again i suggest you just get a better heatsync rather than try to fix the ihs.

FatBird11

Reputable
May 4, 2014

I appreciate your thoughts.