Solved

Need help picking new monitors.

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
May 5, 2014 6:38:50 AM

I use 2 monitors, one as my main for gaming, etc. and i was thinking about something like the VE278H or VE278Q, as i've heard they are both atleast 120hz & 1-2ms.

For my second monitor i was just thinking about a bit smaller 24' monitor with a steady 60hz refresh rate as i got the samsung syncmaster S24B300 currently. I mainly use this monitor for maybe a movie or some notes or what ever so not needed to be the best.

Any suggestions? :) 

And thank you in advance for your answers.

More about : picking monitors

May 5, 2014 6:56:02 AM

zAustin said:
If I am not mistaken, the VE series is only 60Hz, 2ms yes. The VG series are the 144Hz monitors
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yeah i just saw that looking at it agian... now this is gonna sound nooby, yet i started reading all of this with the refresh rate being 120+ is only for 3D which i am not interrested in yet i the more i try and read up on the different things i get more and more lost about it :/ 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 5, 2014 7:04:32 AM

Your refresh rate is related to FPS your GPU displays. If your monitor is 60Hz, then the maximum amount you will be able to visually see is 60FPS, even if your card is performing at faster frame rates. Luckily, 60FPS is very smooth and the goal all games and GPU's strive to achieve so getting a 60Hz monitor is not a "bad" decision. If your monitor is 144Hz for instance, your monitor can display frames at up to 144FPS. Which, compared to 60, most people cannot tell a difference unless you lay them side by side. I've never played on a 144Hz monitor before, but when my card is getting steady 60FPS, it looks very smooth, but I know a few people who say they can see a difference between using a 60Hz monitor and a 144Hz monitor. And right now, I believe all Asus monitors are on sale on Newegg.
May 5, 2014 7:44:19 AM

zAustin said:
Your refresh rate is related to FPS your GPU displays. If your monitor is 60Hz, then the maximum amount you will be able to visually see is 60FPS, even if your card is performing at faster frame rates. Luckily, 60FPS is very smooth and the goal all games and GPU's strive to achieve so getting a 60Hz monitor is not a "bad" decision. If your monitor is 144Hz for instance, your monitor can display frames at up to 144FPS. Which, compared to 60, most people cannot tell a difference unless you lay them side by side. I've never played on a 144Hz monitor before, but when my card is getting steady 60FPS, it looks very smooth, but I know a few people who say they can see a difference between using a 60Hz monitor and a 144Hz monitor. And right now, I believe all Asus monitors are on sale on Newegg.

Ahh i see, are there any certain monitors that you would recommend then?... i heard BenQ etc. are also quite good brands to have a look at and im not really too picky about any brands really.
m
l
May 5, 2014 5:48:49 PM

As of right now, on today's prices, I would get the VG278HE @ $380
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a $580 monitor, I believe ALL Asus Monitors are on sale and I wish they would have been this low when I bought mine (1x VK278Q and 2x VE278Q's). Otherwise if you just want to stick with 60Hz, the only difference between the VE278Q/H is the supported inputs, the H has 2 HDMI ports and a VGA, and the Q has 1 HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort and VGA if I'm not mistaken.
m
l