Suspect PSU, requesting advice.

mikehi58

Reputable
May 5, 2014
Hi,

My delightfully low maintenance custom PC has developed some quirks in recent weeks and I suspect the PSU is the culprit. I'm putting this question here in case anyone has had similar experiences or is more of an expert than me and can confirm my suspicion before I waste money on a new PSU.

A couple of months ago the GPU started crashing mid-game, no biggy it only took a couple of seconds and it was up and going again. I did notice that during this the fans on it would shut off at the point of crash and restart with the card. As a whole this had no impact on the system, didnt even need to restart the computer. This only happened once every couple of weeks.

A few weeks ago I added some new fans, nothing I haven't done before without issue. A couple of boots after that one of my RAM sticks blew. No idea what caused it it just doesn't work anymore, no issue with the mobo.

The last time I shut it down, about 30 seconds after, I heard a small bang (capacitor going?). Thought nothing of it, I thought it was my noisy neighbors. When it came to booting this morning, it took 5 attempts. If boot fails my mobo retries until it works. It felt like a similar issue I had with a friends pc when his power supply wasnt powerful enough, about 1-2 seconds of power and it shut off.

It works just fine when its on. No issues what so ever, voltages look fine.

Has anybody had anything similar? Or has suspicions what it might be? My guess is the power supply, does anyone agree? Its a 3 year old Coolermaster gx650, could be past its best.

Full spec:
i5 2400
Asus P8P67 pro mobo
Corsair xms3 ram 4GB (was 8 before death)
Gigabyte GTX560ti
120GB SSD
500GB HDD
Corsair H60 hydrocooler
Coolermaster gx 650w

Solution
Yup, i believe the PSU had it. Best thing is to try with some of your friends PSUs and see what results do you get.
But i am 90% sure that the PSU is gone.

maurelie

Honorable
Yup, i believe the PSU had it. Best thing is to try with some of your friends PSUs and see what results do you get.
But i am 90% sure that the PSU is gone.

Solution

mikehi58

Reputable
May 5, 2014
I opened it up this morning, no obvious signs of damage/fatigue. There was some white gloop on a few parts but i suspect that is glue from the manufacturer. Wasnt even any dust in there.

Makes me a little unsure, I was kinda hoping for some scorch marks confirming it was the culprit.

Oh well looks like im putting off a GFX upgrade for a while. Thanks