IBM 8RY server ideas

Adam Pope

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Well heres the info guys I just got this server for free and I've never messed with servers before so does anyone know what I could possibly do with this thing. Before anyone thinks the worst this isn't stolen or anything a business was closing and gave away a bunch of office stuff this being one of the items, they did pull the hard drives of course. I have not bothered to power this up yet as I'd like to learn as much about it as i can first. I have already downloaded the owners manual for the tower from IBM.com and am reading through the 300 pages but wanted to get some ideas from the group here.

I'll put as much info as i can about the internals

Machine Type: 8664
Model: 8RY
Netfinity 5600

3 Hot-Swap power supplies
3 Hot Swap fans
3.5 floppy drive
CD-drive
3- 256MB ram sticks
1- 1GB ram
1- IBM pentium 3 processor (don't know how many MGhz) and VRM
1- PCI WIDE ULTRA2 SCSI CONTROLLER CARD
1- IBM ServeRAID 4L SCSI RAID Controller 09N9540
1- a drive that says DDS4 (looks like a zip drive?)

so there it is any ideas would be helpful I like to tinker with computers and have never messed with a server so i thought this would be fun thanks in advance everyone

Its incredibly obsolete in all ways. The processor and memory are ancient and I can't imagine anyone wanting them.
DDS4 is a 4mm tape drive - nice in their day, I owned one, but a blu-ray drive is faster and holds more data. Controllers are always useful, but those are PCI bus (I think), ancient and slow.

The only thing I would do with that if I had it is build something else in the case if I wanted redundant power. Sorry to be a downer. Anyone else more enthusiastic out there?

Adam Pope

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
hey any answer is better than nothing like i said I've never messed with servers so i didn't know anything about this one so thanks for the info I do appreciate it