System Build - Advise Needed

G

Hi, I'll be building my first PC in the coming months and have put together a preliminary build. If those more experienced could give my chosen components a skim over providing any advise as to the quality of selection, it'd be greatly appreciated. The components were chosen to both be cosmetically appealing and to, functionally, max any game at 1080p on a single 120hz monitor with high frame rates.

Case: Corsair 350d w/1xCorsair AF 140mm (Front mounted intake) & 1xCorsair AF 120mm (Rear mounted exhaust)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene
CPU: Intel core i5 4670k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/2xCorsair SP 120mm in push (Top mounted exhaust)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 770 OC 2GB
RAM: Corsair Vengence low profile 8GB DDR3 1866 Mhz
OS/GAME SSD: Samsung 840 evo 120GB
MEDIA HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU: Corsair AX760i

Total Price: £1060*/$1787

Ideally don't want to spend more than this, advise is appreciated.

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
For the most part, it looks good to me, but if you want to max games at 120Hz (assuming you're looking to achieve 120FPS) then you're going to need something a lot more powerful than a 770. You pay a lot more for those, though.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£83.88 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£98.23 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.98 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£59.89 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.82 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£379.99 @ Novatech)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£84.96 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.53 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1059.27
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-05 19:43 BST+0100)

SLI 770s or a 780 should be able to perform the job. Maxing games at 120FPS would be kind of a challenge.

G

Thanks for the suggestion, is it maybe worth spending more on a 780 than skimping on the motherboard and power supply in order to do so for the same price?

Thanks for your guys' input. I don't necessarily want to achieve 120fps in the majority of my games as this would also mean achieving above 120fps as well, in turn paying for frames I'll never see. I just wanted to make sure I had chosen components which would allow me to achieve around a 60fps minimum in a lot of games therefore avoiding paying more for frames I'd still see on a 60hz screen if you understand me. With this in mind is the gpu upgrade worthwhile then? 770s in SLI could be an option down the road bearing in mind.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished

There is a difference between skimping and overspending. If you ever plan on doing SLI, then you need at least a 750 watt PSU, but that Antec is a very high quality unit. Less wattage does not signify lower quality. Also that Gigabyte board is a solid choice, if you were doing heavy overclocking then I would recommend spending a little more, but that board will work well.

But to answer your question, for a gaming PC, buy the best GPU you can afford. The build I posted use the same quality of components but will be faster.

G

I did want to achieve as high an overclock as I possibly could while having the option to sli in the future. But I'm on your wavelength and appreciate the input, it would seem my build would work better with the idea of sli down the road being a definite, yours working better if that is not the case. With your build could I forgo the H100i thus saving more money, if so what would you recommend instead? Also any other insight as to how else I could save some money here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

P.S. Is this power supply as good as if not better than the one you recommended. Only ask as its better aesthetically. Cheers.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
You could go with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, it's the budget CPU cooler kind, and for $30 should get you to 4.2Ghz easily. Beyond this point you will see diminishing returns as you will need a stronger heatsink and not every chip is capable of a high stable overclock. That SeaSonic is a good choice, but if SLI is a consideration in the future then I would recommend spending a little extra on a PSU that will allow that.

This is a very good option that will handle whatever you throw at it: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr