Which Monitor Should I Purchase?

Torguyy

Reputable
May 5, 2014

Hey Brother, really appreciate all the information, really helps. See thing is I im just an average gamer, however im hearing from most people that I should go for a 120Hz monitor instead of 60Hz which you mentioned also, but then again I also hear that an average user wont notice much of a difference.

Also im on a budget, so anything that's a good 120Hz will be too expensive right now.

This is why I found the Samsung S27A950D, its an older model but within my budget and 120Hz, but I also hear there are quality issues with that model as reported by people, so im really confused as to what do do.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

120hz+ monitors are amazing, having said that if your computer is only running games around 60 FPS I would not recommend buying a 120hz monitor, you will not see much of an improvement if any at 60 FPS. But if your system is capable of pushing out around 100 FPS, that is where the high refresh rate monitors really shine. There is a big difference between 60hz and 120hz, you may not notice it right away (though some people do) once you play on a 120hz monitor for a bit then go back to a 60hz monitor you will notice it right away. Fast movements will be more fluid and clear, in shooter type games you will notice a big difference, as you will see twice as many frames.

I recommend the ASUS VG248QE @ 144hz, it is an amazing monitor for $270, it is also compatible with G-sync. They sell G-sync DIY kits though a bit pricy at the moment $200, but I am sure as time goes on the price will drop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Torguyy

Reputable
May 5, 2014

Thanks for that info....I currently have a GTX 570 HD 2.5gb version, I usually play games like BF4, and games like the new release coming out Watch Dogs. Do you think that's gonna hit over 60fps with my card?

I saw the same one you posted but the 27 inch, Newegg is having a really good deal...But hows the overall picture quality and quality of the monitor itself on the Asus?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

Torguyy

Reputable
May 5, 2014

lol, its cool that it has the capability, but I honestly think its a gimmick, and there no way I would pay $200 for it lol...Maybe $50, but not $200 plus tax and all, but that's me.

pdasterly

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
look into the tech, g-sync will eliminate v-sync and should bring console gaming experince to the pc. Damn sounds like I work for nvidia lol

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
It's not a gimmick, trust me...many major websites have had hands on with it and are praising it.

That being said, with a single 570 and the games you are playing, you are not gonna be seeing over 60 frames. So, here are your options:

1 - If you think you will upgrade your GPU to a high end one during the period that you will own whatever new monitor you get, get a 120/144hz monitor. Like mentioned, the higher refresh is really nice especially for competitive gaming in shooters.

2 - If you plan on sticking with that 570 for a while or upgrading to only a mid range card that can't push more than 60fps, get a 60hz monitor. Also, if you don't play shooters competitively and just casually game, a 60hz monitor is probably better for you.

Hope this helps.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
G-Sync is an awesome feature, it works by matching your monitors refresh rate to the FPS your GPU is pushing out, eliminating screen tearing and ghosting, with little to no input lag. Vsync caps your GPU’s FPS to 60, to eliminate screen tearing, the problem with that is you will never hold 60 FPS when gaming, you will get dips in your frame rate, that will cause you so see a slight shutter/pause, Vsync also adds allot of input lag to your monitor, that is a reason why a lot of completive games don’t use vsync and just deal with the screen tearing. That is the shortest way to describe how G-Sync works vs Vsync.

I agree G-sync does come at a high price right now, the great thing about the ASUS VG248QE is as the price drops you can get the DIY kit and install it yourself. Another option you can setup lightboost with the monitor until you can afford G-sync. I honestly don’t see any issues with the colors, unless you are doing allot of photo editing you will not notice a problem. Yeah the viewing angles aren’t the best, but I don’t know anyone who isn’t sitting right in front of their monitor when they play, I don’t have any problems with it.

Here is some info about lightboost;
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

I prefer 24” monitors for gaming, the bigger monitors can have a little distortion and tend to be slower in regards to GTG times. It all depends on you and what you plan on doing with your monitor. I do agree with Trogdor796 though, I wouldn’t get a 120hz or higher monitor unless you have plans to upgrade your GPU. You can get good 60hz monitors for around $160.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236307
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236305

Torguyy

Reputable
May 5, 2014

Well I just bought this guy from the link below, and am using it right now, beautiful monitor I gotta say, look wise and screen wise of course.

I actually ordered it last Friday and came in yesterday because I wanted to test it out, but I can still return if it I want with no hassles.

Im thinking of just keeping it because its so nice, what do you guys think??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001915

Torguyy

Reputable
May 5, 2014
I also wanted to mention the reason why I am upgrading my monitor is that I currently have a Samsung P2370 1080p monitor, really nice monitor that still works flawless.

However, its been awhile since I have owned it, so I want to sell it before the value goes down, right now I can get around $150 asking price for it, which is pretty damn good.

You guys think that's a good move??

TRENDING THREADS