My native resolution won't work

andcut2001

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Code:
So, I have a big problem. So, I'm a teenager who just recently built my own gaming PC. I have a MSI Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr Graphics Card with 2GB of video memory. For my monitor, I have a 23.5" Asus VN247H-P monitor using HDMI. Now, on to the problem. So, for Christmas, I got this new monitor. Right after, I noticed a strange black border around my image on my monitor, and I could only go on 1680x1050, even though my monitor was good for 1920x1080, for the image to be whole. This didn't really bother me, my games I normally play, Payday 2, Battlefield, Plague Inc, Call of Duty, were all fine with it. But, I recently just got an Elgato Game Capture HD because I want to start making YouTube videos. Now, it records 1080p videos, and I thought I would be fine. Now, for the Game Capture to record, you need to route the HDMI though the Game Capture HD. Now, when I did that, it automatically converted it to 1920x1080 on my screen, so the black border appeared again. Now, I thought it was my monitor, and I was ready to sell it on ebay, but, I plugged my laptop into my monitor, and it worked on 1920x1080, so I thought it was my graphics card. But, according to MSI's website, the max resolution of the card is 2560x1600. I'm really struck by this, and I need help. So, to sum it up, my native and recommended resolution of my PC has a border around it when I connect to it.

Below, is the specs of my PC (pcpartpicker link):

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3DQj0 (Gaming PC)

Solution
Try these steps:

1) Reset your monitor to factory default settings (using the monitor menu options)

2) Update your video card drivers to the latest Catalyst version

3) Verify you do not have scaling selected within the Catalyst Control Panel settings

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Try these steps:

1) Reset your monitor to factory default settings (using the monitor menu options)

2) Update your video card drivers to the latest Catalyst version

3) Verify you do not have scaling selected within the Catalyst Control Panel settings

Reactions: RamBoy_69
Solution

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Try these troubleshooting steps:

1) Use a different HDMI cable to verify the HDMI cable you have been using is not defective (there may be some bent connector pins on one of the two HDMI connectors that interfaces with your monitor or your graphics card)

2) Use a different monitor or TV to test that the HDMI output from your HD 7850 is working properly at 1920 x 1080

Worst case, the HDMI port on your graphics card is damaged and will require an RMA to either fix it or replace the card altogether. You could work around the problem of a defective HDMI port on your card and buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable. This would allow for you to use the DVI port on your card to feed the HDMI port on the monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399399542&sr=8-1&keywords=DVI+to+HDMI+cable

Or you can use one of the two mini DisplayPorts on your card to feed the HDMI port on your monitor by using this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00APLJ58M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399399372&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+display+port+to+hdmi

Reactions: RamBoy_69