Sony Working on "Gamified" Smartphone User Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know if I want to play the "Learn how to use your phone RPG", but I doubt this will see the light of day anyway.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
First thing you should do with any software or hardware, if you got any brains, is explore the options menu.

If this crap has disabled features at the start.. Well, it's crap.

Also, this has nothing to do with gamification.

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
This ui.. sounds like a bad idea... Come on Sony.
First off... most gamers already use smart phones and know how get around a phone. They won't want to level up to use the features.
Second.. people who don't know how to use android phones.. won't be looking at this phone. They will be taking advice from friends, family and phone store employees.. telling them to get either a Galaxy, iPhone, HTC or LG.
This phone ui.. really is just too gimmicky.
Phone manufacturers.. need to focus on some core elements.. battery life ,responsiveness, elegance and ruggedness.
Too many gimmicks... ie fingerprint readers, eye scrolling..

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
This is a good idea for old people, or technologically illiterate type people. For us that like to explore our devices, and take them to the limits; it seems stupid

BanzaiWasabi

Reputable
May 6, 2014
How can Sony know in what order different people will need different functionalities? Imagine needing a specific feature that is deemed very advanced, and having to 'grind levels' to obtain it.

If the interface is too confusing for a new user - there's something wrong with the interface, not with the user. They should spend their time redesigning their interface instead of finding a way to slowly introduce users to their chaos...

But then again, as Stimpack points out, this is unlikely to hit the shelves anyway, so... :)

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
They should just make an Xperia Play 2. hardware controls are the gamified user interface.

I don't think Sony would, only for the fact people would buy it instead of the Vita, therefore cannibalizing sales. Too bad, because It would make on hell of a Nvidia Shield contender.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
This is a good idea for old people, or technologically illiterate type people. For us that like to explore our devices, and take them to the limits; it seems stupid

I was thinking something similar.. I would never use it, but I would put my parents on something like this in a heartbeat. My mom had the iPad Air for 6 months before I visited and held down the home button to look at the list of running apps. I had to scroll through like 30 pages of apps. Something like this, I assume, would help educate users about these features, instead of leaving them in the dark complaining about why its not working right until they call the 7 year old next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.