At what Temperature does thermal throttling happends. (Intel CPU)

DarkPlaya

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hi i have Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz, i havent overclocked it. My concern is that i have runned realtemp program and played Crysis 2 Maxed out for like 40 min. Then checked and my cpu Temperature was 69C.

i have read somewhere that thermal throttlinghappends at 65C which makes your cpu down clock, (I have experianced some fps loose over time), so basically the guy that said that thermal throttling happends at 65C had an amd cpu, and i dont know when the whole"thermal throttling" happends on an Intel CPU.

If anyone knows i would appericate if you could share it with me
Thanks.

DarkPlaya

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Oh thanks i didnt know then so my temperature is alright for the Q8300 Model ?

Little bit on the warm side but it's what I would expect from a stock cooler under gaming conditions. It's still far below any dangerous.

DarkPlaya

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Thanks for your answer, well now this processor is in my system for only a matter of time because im planning on getting the AMD FX - 8350 or i7 - 2600K, well for now i need to wait for the money income :D

You may have better luck with a more modern processor than the 2600K. Equivalent models in the newer generations are typically priced comparably.

DarkPlaya

Reputable
May 1, 2014
@Pinhedd - Yeah i was kinda looking at that for a bit now.. could you tell me that a Intel Core i7-4770K is more efficiant in performance wise ??

the 4770K is a pretty solid improvement over the 2600K. It will be a bit more expensive, but not substantially so. The 2600K may be hard to find in stores as it's been replaced by newer products.