Recover Overwritten Database File?

bill77

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
About 14-15 years ago I had a single large proprietary database file overwritten by a hasty re-installation of a program. I was unable to recover via undelete methods at the time of course, but always kept the old Connor hard drive around "just in case" I ever came across a way to do it. Back then I didn't know any better and continued using it when it was my sole hard drive which would've screwed over my undelete chances anyway, even if that method did work for overwritten files.

It's been a long time since I thought about it, and I came across the box where the drive still sits. I figured I'd ask the question 15 years too late - is there a snowball's chance in hell to recover any bit of the overwritten file now?

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
If you were using that HDD after you deleted it? Really snowball chance. It was probably overwritten many times by now. It's not 100% even when you try to recover right after delete, but this way I would say no. You can try your luck with some recovery software, but I would guess it's +- same chance as winning lottery.

bill77

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Probably even with forensic grade tools or services, right?

Ahh well, didn't figure there would be, but thought I'd ask once before I forgot it for good. Thanks for the replies..