Upgrading GeForce GT 220, $120 budget

sukihakoro

Reputable
May 6, 2014
(Mods, before deleting my post again can you PLEASE tell me why you keep deleting so I can correct, read the rules and don't see what I'm doing wrong, thanks)

Okay so I've been having overheating issues with my graphics card, so much that it makes my computer crash if I boot up a game. that I can't seem to do anything about myself so far so I decided to just get a new one since its from oct 2009; but I need help because I have no idea what I should get and what is really compatible.
I realize that mostly every graphics card that has been released since mine was is pretty much better than what I have now but i'm still looking for something more decent, not just a little bit better. because lets face it even a cheap entry-level card is better than my current one but i still want something that can actually support decent gaming.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: sometime this month
BUDGET RANGE: $120 max, MAYBE $150

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (bioshock infinite, sims, guild wars 2), artwork use (so photoshop/adobe stuff), and regular home use

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, GT216, - 350W max power supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620
Monitor info:
resolution 1600x900 pixels
Enabled, Primary, Output devices support
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: anywhere really, as long as they are reliable
places I tend to go to around here for parts is Best Buy (not much else)
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: none. just has to be better than my current card and compatible with my computer.

OVERCLOCKING: nope

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900 pixels

thanks for any help! if theres any questions about my specs or if i missed anything please let me know and i will provide info :)

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
A 750ti will serve you well, but to stay within your budget the R7 260x from AMD will be suitable as well.

How much RAM have you got? If it is under 4GB I'd recommend spending the leftover $ (if there is anything leftover) on upgrading to 4GB of RAM.

sukihakoro

Reputable
May 6, 2014
hmm, i think that the 750ti would be better since the R7 260x is only $20 cheaper from what i could find.

and i have 4GB of RAM, so i'm good there

thank you for the suggestion! if it comes down to it and i dont have the extra $ i'll probably go with that to save a bit.

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Great! Have fun gaming ;)