Which one? Should I pursue a degree or a certificate in Computer Science

jripson161

Reputable
May 6, 2014
I'm about to start my college career and would like some advice from the smartest people in computers. This forum has always given me great advice so I thought I would get the best answer here.
What degrees are employers looking for? Are certificates a better use of time and money?
This is the list i can choose from at my school. 6 different degree tracks. 8 different certificates.
http://www.cscc.edu/academics/departments/computer-it/programs.shtml

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to spend 2 years on a degree that isn't worth anything in the job market.

Solution
I would maybe get something to at least get your foot in the door, whether it's a degree, some certificates, or even a job at a computer place that desperately needs another employee, not really caring if they have a degree yet. Just do anything to get your foot in the door. Then you can build your resume. For example, someone will be more likely to hire you if you have a degree and/or experience at another similar job (especially if you held that job for a while).

Not to discourage you, but just remember that a lot of college graduates are still having trouble finding a job. Having your degree doesn't exactly guarantee you will be able to quickly get a job.

Maybe do what you said, focus on getting a few certificates, then find a...

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
What exactly do you want to do? Fix broken computers? Fight against viruses? Write programs and software? Design computer components?

Personally, I am at the college age, and I want to get into programming, game development, or even designing hardware. I don't want to spend a ton of money that I don't even have for training I might get easily from books and information online, etc. I'm not saying every college is like this, there are a few that specialize in a particular field and are actually worth the money.
If you think college is for you, by all means, go for it! I just don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a piece of paper saying really nothing more than I got at least a C- in my classes.

Just my 2 cents...

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I would maybe get something to at least get your foot in the door, whether it's a degree, some certificates, or even a job at a computer place that desperately needs another employee, not really caring if they have a degree yet. Just do anything to get your foot in the door. Then you can build your resume. For example, someone will be more likely to hire you if you have a degree and/or experience at another similar job (especially if you held that job for a while).

Not to discourage you, but just remember that a lot of college graduates are still having trouble finding a job. Having your degree doesn't exactly guarantee you will be able to quickly get a job.

Maybe do what you said, focus on getting a few certificates, then find a computer job. Even if it's just working at the local Geekzilla for a year. (I made that up. :)) It will help you find a better job later.

Here's an interesting video. I must say, it made me reconsider going to college. I may go to some good programming or electronics engineering school someday, but nothing else for me. Not with my money!

Well, that's my advice. It's really just an opinion. Feel free to disagree!

Edit: I'm not trying to say, "Don't go to college!" I'm just saying don't go to just any college. Go to a school that specializes in your field of interest.

Solution