Please review My PC Build

I R iz Whale

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi guys, I was hoping you all can look over my build and tell me what you think
First, I know there’s no graphics card or monitor, I’ll get to that later

Second, I don’t care that it doesn’t match, so please don’t say anything about that.

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3EAqZ

My plan/Questions:

1) Cooling- 3 of the 140mm fans on the front, 3 140mm on the top, and 1 140mm on the back. I’m thinking of putting the radiator on the bottom of the case with 4 120mm in push-pull. Will this work/fit? Are there any blaring problems that I don’t see?

2) I was thinking of overclocking the CPU to about 4.0 GHz, is there enough cooling for this?

3) Is it worth buying from the recommended retailers on the Part Picker site if I don’t know if they are reputable, if it’s ,say, $20 less than on Newegg?

4) Graphics card and Monitor, 780 classified vs 780 ti classified/ 1080p vs 1440p

a. Will the 780 (with or without minor OCing) run games such as Titanfall, modded Skryim, Metro 2033 and similar games in the future, on very high/highest settings with a resolution of 1080p with 60+ fps?

b. Similarly, will the ti(with or without minor OCing run those games with similar settings (maybe more performance heavy mods for Skyrim) with a resolution of 1440p with 60+ fps?

c. 24″ vs 27″ monitors, which do you prefer and why?

d. If I do get 1440p and I do have to lower the resolution of a game to 1080p, will it look worse than if it was a 1080p monitor

e. In your opinion, is the price increase for the graphics card and monitor for 1440p vs 1080p, and why?

Recommendations- can you recommend any of the following

A somewhat cheap Internal Blu-ray optical drive (I just need it to read, not write)

Leather, ergonomic, full back chair that’ll last, and a study, good looking L-shaped desk that I can put the computer, monitor, and peripherals on, for about $300-$350 for both.

A fair priced carpet mat for the chair.

A surge protector that can power the PC among other things (but not a generator, just something to protect it if the power goes on and off)

I haven't done much research, but do they even make 1-2 ms responce time and/or 120+ hz 1440p monitor? Because after reading up a little I've been leaning towards the 780 ti classified with an Asus VG248QE or Asus VG278HE, depending on 24" vs 27"
Please reply with your thoughts and opinions, be it a response to one of my questions or any thoughts of your own. Thanks!

Edit: Added Video Card and Monitor, went with the 780 ti and the Asus VG248QE, and swapped out 6 of the 140 noctuas for 4 200mms

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The components you list are all compatible, but Holy Cow! What's with all the fans?! The case comes with sufficient air flow stock. Huge fans, which are better. And you're adding 11 more!? Remember, more fans = more decibels. Have hearing protection available.

Btw, I'd suggest a different PSU. CM is not a really great brand in PSUs. Go Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, FSP... Just to name a few.
Yes, running an LCD monitor at anything other than its native resolution will look less than ideal. Worse than a 1080p at its native resolution.
The 780Ti should meet your demands, yes.
Stay away form chair mats unless they are the grounding style w/ground wire and clip. They tend to build up ESD and can cause problems when you are touching the PC. I never use one and my chair is on carpet.

I R iz Whale

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and look around for a different PSU and chair mat

As for the fans, My plan was to remove the stock case fans and replace them with the noctua fans, but your saying that 2 200mm fans would have more airflow than 3 140mm? And for the sound issue I was hoping that the headphones would block enough of the sound.

And lastly for the ti my meets my demands am I correct in assuming that you mean for 1440p?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, for 1440p. Of course the frame rates per game will be lower than you'd expect to see @ 1080p. But I'm sure you already know that.

All else being equal... large fans move more air at less decibels than small fans. I can't compare Noctua fans with the unknown brand used in the case, obviously. But I suspect the stock fans will be quieter at any CFM of air than the 11 smaller fans. In all honesty, though, I thought you were going to ADD them to the existing fans. If you are going to replace them, there may not be that much difference. Your best bet is to try it w/the stock fans and see if you need to change.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Even one 80 mm fan is sufficent. However you are trying to reduce a maybe 3 degree temperature difference down to 1 degree. Virtually no change especially when normal hardware air temperatures are even when the room is 40 degrees C. Excessive dBs and serious dust blockages are created to moving too much air.