Help me pick the right case and cooler

txgowan

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I'm finally building a new system and I'm getting kind of stuck on which case and cpu cooler to use.

Here's my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/prasekd/saved/2Gas

As far as the case is concerned: I'd really prefer a smaller case. I have one optical drive, why do I need 3 5.25" bays?

I'm starting to pull my hair out. I'm overwhelmed by the case choices. Originally, I thought about trying to fit it all in a BitFenix case (Prodigy M, Phenom Micro, Colossus Micro), but I'm afraid it's going to be super-cramped and run hot. I'm leaning possibly toward a Nanoxia DS4 case.

I don't care about a window. I prefer the drives to face out. I want lots of positive air flow and good cable management. Quiet fans would be nice. I'm not a big fan of mesh. I like a plain front or brushed. Two USB 3.0 and audio plugs seems standard and I don't require more than that.

As for the cpu cooler, I'd like to try a water-cooled solution. AIO, I'd imagine for the first-timer. I'm leaning toward Corsair, but I'm not married to the idea.

I'd really appreciate any help. Feel free to ask any questions. As soon as this decision is made, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

txgowan

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

No, not everything. The items listed as Purchased in my parts list are the parts I already have on hand. The ones that still list prices haven't been purchased yet, but I'm pretty set on them for my needs.

As soon as I have the case and cooler decisions made, I'll buy the remainder.

tl;dr: I have yet to buy the CPU, MB, memory and Samsung EVO SSD plus whichever case and cooler I choose. I already have a power supply, video card, ODD, three HDD and an SSD.)

For an AIO I recommend the Switech H220 (it performs better than Corsair's and is quieter. http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=79583

Don't get a 120mm all in one liquid cooler. they perform poorly.

For a case. I like the Fractal Design Define R4 which is very quiet and easy to build with. It has no mesh and has what you want. It comes it different colors and has an optional window. It isnt too big. Though if you would like the smaller version of this case it is called the Fractal Design. The smaller one wont fit the siwftech, but would fit a 140mm NZXT Kraken X40. the kraken is your best choice for the smaller case. It performs better than 120mm coolers and is quieter.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146027

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3FhuG
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($127.60 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Nova 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($244.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Headphones: Razer Carcharias Headset (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1066.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-06 21:16 EDT-0400)

txgowan

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

I like the Define R4 a lot, but that dang door opening to the left instead of to the right bugs the heck out of me. It makes no kind of sense to me, either. That being said, I'm thinking about living with it.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Define R4 w/the H220 or the Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 with the Kraken X40.

I'll run with the stock fans and maybe see if I want to upgrade to Noctuas later.

The Fractal Design Define R4 with the h220 would be be my personal choice, but either choice is good. If you ever want to venture into overclocking, the h220 will allow you to go further than the x40.