OWC 10TB External Thunderbolt Drive Costs Nearly $1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
What drive is 5TB? Seagate and Hitachi's is 6TB, maybe a 5TB of that line? Or maybe a Toshiba mg04sca500e?

It's a Seagate 5TB drive that they didn't announce to the public.
It's a 5 Platter SMR drive similar to the 4TB SMR drive they announced to reseller partners last year.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

That doesn't make sense, though. Those enterprise 5TB drives cost $450 by themselves.
OWC would be losing money at that price point.
It's far more likely that it's the 5TB consumer drive that uses SMR which are ~$250 right now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7290/seagate-to-ship-5tb-hdd-in-2014-using-shingled-magnetic-recording

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1038924&gclid=CPv4iaCBm74CFaMF7AodfX8Aaw&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
How exactly do you do Raid5 with 2 drives ?! The minimum requirement for Raid5 is 3 drives ....
That's not strictly true, a RAID-5 of two disks is certainly possible. The problem is that it offers no advantage over RAID-1, which will typically be faster in all cases, as well as being quicker to rebuild.

I don't know who in their right mind would buy a two disk external drive for nearly $1,000 though; the whole benefit of RAID is that you can achieve high capacity using relatively low cost drives, but at the same time you can also gain redundancy. If you're serious about your data you'd be better off with a four bay enclosure with four 4tb drives in RAID-5 for the redundancy and 12tb capacity.

Strunf

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008

It's not possible to have RAID 5 with just two drives, for RAID 5 you need to Strip and Parity, with two you can only have either Strip or Parity, Strip will be like RAID 0, Parity will be like RAID 1, if you check their website they don't speak of RAID 5, they say RAID 0, RAID 1, span and independent.

I don't really see the point in the extra expense of these Thunderbolt drives with just one or two discs. It's an added expense with no benefit as they won't saturate USB 3.0. I wouldn't bother with anything less than four discs. In all practicality eight or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.