Another new gaming PC for around 1k. Tips appreciated Tom, Bros, and Brosets

Bradley RN

Reputable
May 8, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this. I have been a console gamer for over 15 years but I love the mmo crowd and diversity of a PC. I am a quick learner and have been reading build guides online for weeks with quite a few questions AND a setup!

First, the setup (not bought yet)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Wireless: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router

Cliff Note: This is going to be a strictly online/offline gaming rig. I was going for very little lag, decent graphics, downloadable games, multiple projects (2-3) at one time. I've wanted to build my own for quite a while because while growing up playing online games: mostly it's been with 300-400$ laptops or an out of the assembly line tower. I've never really had a computer that didn't lag 2-3 times an hour on offline games.

So, onto questions

1. Is this a decent build for 1k for my pre-reqs (listed in cliff notes)? If not what would you suggest?
2. What would be the best windows version 7 to run with it (premium, platinum, etc) or would windows 7 not provide the best performance while allowing a noob to setup his first custom built computer?
3. What monitor would you suggest? Something that wouldn't break the bank (~350$) would be appreciated while still providing decent graphics, 3d not necessary.
4. Should I buy warranty on any specific part (from your, on a budget standpoint, I really really don't wanna throw down a warranty on everything)? If not I'm completely cool with that.
Optional: 5. Antivirus - buy one or download a couple free ones?

I left this open to discussion cause I didn't want to close it to the public. But thank everyone for their input!

1) Fairly good, though there's no point getting a Z87 board if you're not going to SLI/CF or OC. Get an H87 one.

2) Windows 7 Home Premium, or Windows 8 core. No point going above either of those unless you've got enterprise-level server stuff.

3) One of the nice 1080p 120/144Hz ones, probably.

4) Probably not.

What's with the router? Current one not performing? If you're doing it over ethernet, the router will make very little difference to the gaming.

Bradley RN

Reputable
May 8, 2014

Thanks for the input!

I've switched to a ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard. Figured that would work aplenty especially for future upgrades.

Also I'm gonna go with an ASUS 24in 144hz HDMI screen per your suggestion. It has 3d, which I don't need but is reasonably priced on newegg

As for the router, I will go Ethernet but did not know (super noob show out time) if the newer wireless router would make a difference in me vs others using the internet at. The same time. But I guess as long as Ethernet is equipped I'll get mine first :) so I'll take it off the list cause it's a hella 200$

Oh also gonna go with windows 7 premium, 8 kinda pisses me off. But I'm guessing 64 bit is fine.