Feedback on New System Build.

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
Upgrading from a
AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8ghz on a Asus F2 A85M-Pro with 8 Gigs ram.

retaining the Ram, SSD and SATA drives, the NZXT Phantom 410 case, Corsair TX850 power supply, and Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 4GB Ram video Card.

Looking at upgrading to:
Intel I7 Core 4820k CPU
Asus Sabertooth LGA 2011 motherboard. (full size mobo)
NZXT Kraken x60 AIO water cooler. (reviews I found mark it as one of the best available)

I want top end quad core so I OC in the future to keep it current, from what I have read IVY Bridge will give me that and it comes unlocked. I went for LGA 2011 setup to utilize the 64GB of ram, looking to run my games right off the ram, when I procure more that is.

I have seen that the Kraken requires modifications to fit the mounting points in the phantom case but as of yet I haven't found any info regarding where to modify specifically or if there are adapters available. (note I am a mechanic so I am more than capable of drilling new mount holes and enlarging the fan holes if need be.)

Feed back on the system as a whole as well as feedback on any issues with the components listed, I am looking for reliability here so if any problems are known with the above parts I would love to know now.

Thanks

Rugnir_Viking

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Whoa! I'd suggest you upgrade the GPU as well if you intend this for gaming. Also while a ramdisk is fast, you might as well get a much cheaper and better suited PCI-e ssd. There isn't much use getting more than 8gb ram for modern games.

The kraken *should* fit onto any 120mm fan slots, or if it has a dual radiator, then two side by side ones such as those at the top of the case. However I have little experience with the kraken.

Possibly consider getting that mobo and a top-end i5 and a better gpu such as a 7970 or a 780.

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
The Kraken X60 is a 280mm AIO liquid cooler, from what I found although the space is there on the roof of the case the mounting points are set up for twin 120mm fans or a 240mm rad. I am looking for a really good quality and reliable rig, so when I saw cooler test that put the X60 at the top even running silent mode on I was impressed.

I went with the Gigabyte 770 GTX Windforce 4GB because I am running 3 monitors and although the 780 and 780ti are nice they are more expensive and dont offer the 4 GB of ram.

I went with the I7 4820k because I wanted a top end machine without video on the CPU that will take longer to be obsolete especially with OCing.

I agree current games only utilize 8GB of Ram but what about the game that comes out next year. I also use photoshop which will use the ram. I am looking at making this computer one that will last more years without worrying about it not being able to handle what I am doing next.

Rugnir_Viking

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Games actually only use about 4gb of ram. 8gb is easily enough. However Photoshop is indeed a good reason to have 16gb of ram or more.

4gb of vram isn't 100% necessary for 3 monitors. indeed i have my 3 monitors here running on 2gb vram fine with no problems whatsoever. that *may* change if you come up to wanting to game across all three screens, for for normal multiple window use i've never had a problem.

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
I actually do run my games across all 3 monitors, and I must say that going back would be horrid, would be like going out for drinks with the boys and having to drink out of a sippy cup. I am currently looking at adding a 4th monitor for my periferal programs such as TS3 and WinAmp and any windows that I may be using on a separate screen. But that will probably need a small basic video card, as it will never run games. and with 2011 setup that still leaves room to add a 2nd 770 windforce for SLI purposes.

Note I had the 7850 radeon prior to this card and actually preferred the radeon control centre over the Nvidia one as it was easier and better laid out. But I was after the better performance of the GTX with the 4GB of ram.