Nvidia gt 220

konosl2

Reputable
May 8, 2014
I have a very old system and i have problems with games like i'm not able to have a browser and/or other applications running simultaneously with League of Legends because it causes the game to freeze every 1-2 seconds.
specs:
Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2.5ghz
2gb RAM DDR2
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
1680x1050
Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit

I have this card for many years
Will changing the graphics card (to a GT 630) have better performance and am i going to be able to run other applications with my games?
(i can run the game on medium-high settings on 50-60 fps without a problem when running LoL alone)
Hopefully i will buy a new system soon, i'm just looking to fixing it temporarily until i get a new one.

JimmoR3M

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
That RAM is most likely struggling to handle that load mate. Swapping up to a GT630 should help improve your FPS in-game but the crashing/stuttering is most likely down to your RAM. Best putting your money into upgrading this.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah you really need an extra 2gb of ram really.

Also, you might be better of getting a used GTX 460 or something like that, will run LoL at max settings no problem and probably will cost the same as new gt 630. You will need a psu with a 6 pin power connector though.

JimmoR3M

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
That'll be it then buddy. Grab another 2gb stick if you only have the one or grab 2 of em if you have 2 1gb sticks. 4 gb of Ram should be plenty (and is the cap for your OS anyway).

Upgrade at least to a GT 640, if not higher. Your CPU can handle a decent video card, one a lot better than the 220 or 630. If you have a decent power supply and a normal size case, you may as well get a good card now that you can move to the new system when you build it since you need an upgrade anyway. For a bit over $100 Radeon R7 260X is a good pick and will work well with a faster CPU when you get it. It may seem that spending $50 on a cheap card now is a good deal, but when you get a new system and thatt $50 card is holding you back, you end up spending that $50 PLUS another $150 on a good video card instead of just the $150 one time.

For right around $100, the Radeon 7770 or Radeon R7 250X (both are the same card really) is the pick.

As long as you have a 300+ watt power supply.

If you don't you can either get the GT 640, R7 240, or faster but quite a bit more money, nVidia 750 Ti.