What is the very best Linux distribution?

Nightman

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
There isn't really a best distro, it's just what the user prefers. If this is your first time using Linux, I'd go with Ubuntu, because it's super polished and really easy to use. Then, once you're used to Linux, you can explore other distros that may suit your needs better.

Nightman

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
No problem. And if you decide you don't like looks of the unity desktop, you can also install xubuntu or kubuntu to get xfce or kde instead. They'll give you different looks with the same functionality. To do that, use the terminal command

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

or

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
That's like asking what's the best flavor of ice cream. Some say chocolate others Rocky road, I myself prefer rum raisin. Mint is also good for a first user and has Ubuntu as it's base so trying desktop interfaces is a snap, just pick the one you want to try and add it on. I use the gnome3 with Cairo dock.
Once you install a new interface you can switch from one to another by simply logging out, click on a different one log back in. Seconds . No reason not to experiment.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
No frills and rock-solid --- SCIENTIFIC LINUX, a clone of RHEL was #1 quality when I reviewed LOS varients for my newer Xeon system. But, it would NOT run Chromium browser and that is a requirement for me. If you reject bling and do-NOT value choice, then SL is your baby.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I haven't seen rum-raisin ice-creame for 30 years. It's as rare as spent-grain-bread! But, seriously how could ANYONE like a cartoonish cell-phone GUI on a 27" i7-desktop ?