Where should I actually purchase my computer parts from?

EM3

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I am currently looking to build a computer that will cost me around $1450 at the cheapest quoted by pcpartspicker.

Ive only built one computer before in which I had purhcased everything from CompUSA and was lucky that not a single part was defective. Seeing as how this computer will have alot more pieces to it and thus increase the chance of something being defective and the fact that it is about $900 more than my last computer I was debating as to where to actually buy the parts from.

My main concern is basically RMA/defective parts and the pain of attempting to get replacements. Living in Florida the only real computer parts store near me is two TigerDirect stores, though there are bestbuys near buy but they seem to have no selection.

With all that being said I dont mind spending an extra 10% on parts to avoid any hassle that may occur if an item is defective. I have read quite a bit of horror stories regarding Newegg & their RMA support to the point I am quite certain I don't wish to order from there. To my knowledge this basically leaves me with Tiger Direct, Amazon, and NCIX.

--Where would you all suggest I spend my money on that has the simplest/best return policy incase something happens, though of course I'm hoping everything arrives in working condition. (Id rather pay a couple $ more for less of a headache).

EDIT* There is no microcenter or fry's near me.

The online merchants are just handlers of merchandise. The quality of the merchandise depends on the product.

Items like DVD drives, computer cases, buy from a brick and mortar store; not online - because it is an inexpensive component and bulky to RMA. For other items online is fine.

EM3

Honorable
May 29, 2012
But many times from what I read the merchant is the one who you typically go thru with RMAs. Which is why I was looking for info on people's reccomendation on where to purchase from.

D

Deleted member 1300495

I would go with newegg. They have pretty good reviews for shipping and hopefully won't have defective parts. They also have pretty good discounts for cpus and other expensive parts.

Typically, store returns are valid for 30 days, after which we typically have to deal with the manufacturer (RMA).

Most large computer stores are reliable; CompUSA, Best Buy, Staples,, and MicroCenter, Fry's that you mentioned that you are near to.

For online purchases I depend on Newegg. So far, things have worked out well. Amazon is an alternative.