Help needed with DVI Cable.

Catalyzer

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Hello Tomshardware community.
I wanted help regarding the right DVI cable i should use to connect my graphics card and my Monitor.
My monitor is LG w2243t - 21.5" Full hd 60 Hz monitor having a 1 DVI-D port and my graphics card being Sapphire Dual-x R9 270x .
Off lately i heard that VGA is horrible when it comes to gaming , also it results in loss of image quality , i thought i shud just start using the DVI port i have on my monitor.
Also DVI and HDMI are nearly the same for 1080p 60 Hz monitor i wont be gaming at 4K , neither do i require audio to go along with video so DVI is fine.
I'm just confused between the DVI-I , DVI-D - DVI ports and cables , good lord there are so many.
So my question is :
Which cable do i require to make it work ? considering my graphics card and monitor.
IF you can please provide a link from where i can purchase , i stay in India and can order stuff online , so if you guys could please provide such links.
If not i ' m okay with the international links you post from amazon,newegg !
See these are the images.
for my monitor's port

http://s27.postimg.org/5fqn6z69f/LG_W2243_T_PF_6.jpg

and this for the graphics card port for DVI input :

http://media.sapphiretech.com//images/prods/2037/11217-01_R9_270X_2GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_2DVI_PCIE_C03_635161492389260477_600_600.jpg

Thank you !

Solution
DVI-I is a composite interface which combines DVI-D and DVI-A into a single physical interface. DVI-A is pin compatible with good old fashioned VGA cables, and requires only a passive mechanical adapter. Single-Link DVI-D is pin compatible with HDMI, and requires only a passive mechanical adapter.

Most graphics cards have a dual-link DVI-I port which can produce DVI-A, as well as single and dual link DVI-D signals. Some monitors have DVI-I interfaces, but discrete DVI-A/SL-DVI-D/DL-DVI-D are more common. Use a cable that matches the physical interface on your display and by design it will fit into a graphics card that has a DVI-I interface.

Catalyzer

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

thanks for that information , but can you please point out which cable i require considering i just provided the images of the ports i have on the display monitor and my gfx card , that would be helpful !
Thanks.

Your graphics card has a Dual-Link DVI-I output. Your display has a Dual-Link DVI-D Input. Given that the display is 1920x1080@60hz it should function with either a Single-Link DVI-D cable, or a Dual-Link DVI-D cable. I'd recommend Dual-Link to be safe. Most displays come with one in the box, but almost all computer shops have them in stock.

Catalyzer

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Thanks a lot for your response , though i couldnt find many cables online , but i got this one :
http://www.flipkart.com/egizmos-dvi-male-1-5-mtr-data-cable/p/itmdueubccvsekhz?pid=ACCDUEUBCCVSEKHZ&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=+dvi+cable&ref=f26a3368-4d82-47f0-b094-ceb688f96a73
Its not dual link neither its DVI-I its just DVI cable you recommeneded a Dual link DVI-D so i asked.

DVI contains a family of mechanical specifications, there is no such thing as a plain DVI cable.

The various connectors can be found here

Based on the connectors, it appears to be a Single-Link DVI-D cable. It should work.

Solution