In Pictures: AMD Consolidates From 18 Datacenters To Just Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Just waiting for an Nvidia fan-boi to jump on the 'green is good' comment....

BTW, I'm not a fan-boi either way, just saying..

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm a bit surprised about the location they chose; In Sweden I think it was Google that placed a data centers faar up north to tap into the 'clean' electricity from water power, but also benefit from to cooler climate for cooling but then also be able to sell the surplus heat to warm houses.

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Great steps forward for AMD. Sure, I use nVidia for graphics cards (I need them for CUDA rendering), but somebody has to compete with Intel!

They should give everybody in town free hot water that was heated by AMD processors. Sounds like it would be tasty! (After you made it cold, of course!)
I'm excited that AMD is keeping a datacenter in the USA!

(By the way, eriko, green is an AMD color, too!)

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
If it is so modern, why are they still running Vista on their monitoring workstations?
Obviously the monitoring is a web-based UI. So... why spend the money to upgrade workstations that run a web-based application?

I'd be willing to bet the workstations they actually use for design are some sort of Unix-based operating system running high-end EDA software like Mentor Graphics. That said, maybe AMD uses a custom in-house EDA software solution, so I could be wrong.

Also, holy tape batman.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Fix the comments section for Best Graphics Cards for the Money already, it's getting to be ridiculous. Do you not want people to come to this site??

G

In picture 4 and 6, look at all those Antec 300's. Such a great computer case.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I have to wonder if they take as much power as a House Hold Clothes Dryer, which takes 240 volts to some times 480 Volts, which I think is the same for these servers if they take 1.8 MW, that is tons of Juice, and about Servers that cost 1 Million Dollars.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I am a hard core AMD user and have been ever since AMD K6 but until they get off their butts and produce serious energy efficient processors to complete with Intel's they are in a losing battle. They make great processors and best bang for the buck but long term TOC is higher in terms of energy cost. The data center consolidation will save money now but as time goes on they will lose money in energy usage.

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I am a hard core AMD user and have been ever since AMD K6 but until they get off their butts and produce serious energy efficient processors to complete with Intel's they are in a losing battle. They make great processors and best bang for the buck but long term TOC is higher in terms of energy cost. The data center consolidation will save money now but as time goes on they will lose money in energy usage.

i dont think so, FM2+ and AM1 CPUs are doing wonders in power usage.

i dont think so, FM2+ and AM1 CPUs are doing wonders in power usage.
Sure, they are getting better... but on high end server parts they are often 1.5-2x the wattage of similarly performant Xeons. They could cut their power bill in half again just by switching to the competition's parts... pluss less cooling requirement which means a much simpler system. Don't get me wrong, I love AMD, and have bought AMD and Intel parts over the years, but there is a reason why AMD can only compete in the low cost entry market, and it is because Intel simply makes better/faster/cooler parts on the high end where operating costs dwarf installation costs.

Still very impressive though. If nothing else they will save a pretty penny by removing all of the infrastructure costs. But I am a bit surprised that they would not have 3-4 locations simply for redundancy's sake. 99.982 is still 94 minutes of down time a year. Certainly better than my computer at home... but then again my computer is not doing anything as important as these systems. At least with the old system they had more options in the event of a failure.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
trying to improve the efficiency of a datacenter in 2014 using Opterons is like prodicing ethanol from corn to reduce CO2 emissions.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It's windows 7. You can tell by looking at the minimize, resize, and close buttons on the top right hand corner of the program. Windows Vista buttons are much larger than 7's. These ones are small, so, it's 7.
The gadgets on both 7 and Vista are similar as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.