PSU and Mobo Compatibility

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
In rebuilding my PC, I'm looking to get an ASRock B85 Pro4 Mobo. However, I've got a Corsair GS800 PSU and am unable to confirm via either manufacturer, whether my PSU is compatible with this Mobo. As neither company include a compatibility table in their specs, it seems like maybe any PSU will work with any Mobo, but that surely can't be the case can it?

Rugnir_Viking

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Pretty much :) Almost any psu will work with almost any mobo.

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thanx Rugnir. What confuses me is that I've also got an OCZ ZX Series 1250W PSU, and on the face of it they seem to offer different power specs. Once again with self build PC's, I'm straying into areas beyond my knowledge!
Is it the case that PSU's have monitors that allow them to provide the required power to any connected components? So the ZX1250 can provide up to 1250W, whereas the GS800 can provide up to 800W? What surprises me is the idea that PC's need such extremes of power! It would take a good half day's research to discover and add up all my current components wattage requirements, but a back of the dearest comrade packet guesstimate comes in at around 100 to 200 watts max. What sort of system could possibly require 1250W? Still somewhat confused, but reassured. :)

Rugnir_Viking

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Sorry I was away so long >.<
People use high power psus because power supplies have an optimum efficiency at round about 50-70% load. also, with SLI and crossfire on high end cards, you can rack up to about 800-900 watts usage quickly.

as for how they do it, the components just draw more current and the voltage should stay at a fixed point, which changes the wattage.
current x voltage = watts
so the watts can change as the system want it.

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thanx again Rugnir, it's much clearer to me now. I suspect in my back of the dearest comrade packet guesstimate, I severely under estimated my GPU wattage from what you say about SLI etc. :) So, when I finally do get around to my rebuild, I guess I should use the 1250W PSU to allow for efficiency and expansion.