I was curious as to what you guys think of the following specs, would they run well together or would there be issues?

Chris Mathews

Reputable
May 9, 2014
It's a cyberpower Custom build, and I have no idea how building computers works, I'm more knowledgeable about the software that it runs. My question is whether these parts would be productive together, would you recommend different parts, and will it be able to run games like Skyrim/STALKER on max or close to max settings?
CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.40 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+30] (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory [+89] (ADATA XPG V2)
MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 3, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
OS is WIn7 PRo

Also considering:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [-64]
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)
MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 3, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your link had issues for me. All I could see was the stock selection of processor and a few options. Probably because it was a selection you made that was only stored as a cookie on your PC.

Chris Mathews

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Also I was curious about your opinion on Cyberpower at all, should I trust them? I've read /horrific/ reviews and I don't want that to be me.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never used one of theirs. I always build. They build with retail components. They are one of the usual pre-built companies folks go to when they don't want to build themselves.

Yes, there is enough power there to game nicely at 1080p. The R9-270 is adequate for max to near max settings in all but the most demanding games. at that rez.

Any particular reason you chose the FX-9370 processor over one of the Intel i5 quad cores?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Generally, the AMD processors are less expensive than comparable Intel processor, yes.
I always recommend building one's own gaming PC. But I realize it isn't a project for everyone. Basically, it is just assembling the components and installing the OS. If you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, all the basic PC consists of is:
Case
Power supply
Motherboard
Processor
System Memory
Graphics card
Hard disk drive and/or a solid state disk drive
Optical disk drive (if needed)
Win7 or 8

Once you have those components, you just assemble parts, plug in cables and wires, and install Windows.
Here is an instruction video in 3 parts:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Chris Mathews

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Does it matter what case I have as long as it will fit all the components? I have an old HP Pavilion I believe that doesn't work but my dad said I could use it if I wanted to build my own. Also I'd like to put liquid cooling etc. in it, could I?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If it fits, yes. But some pretty good budget case aren't very expensive. Example in the $25 - $50 range:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%204025&IsNodeId=1&name=%2425%20-%20%2450
And proprietary cases can be somewhat awkward sometimes. Many are designed by the company for their proprietary components.

You can always put in water cooling in place of the stock cooler that comes with the processor. But that almost demands a standard PC case, not a proprietary one. And water cooling might better be left to later... after you have your "feet wet" so to speak. Don't make your first build too hard or you may discourage yourself. And best to use a roomy case for ease of assembly.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

They're identical except for the processor, aren't they? It will be just as good as the 1st config. The FX-9370 is basically a highly overclocked FX-8320 that runs a whole lot hotter. The system with that processor better have water cooling... and good water cooling. I would not want to get a pre-built with that processor unless I was sure the folks building it knew what they were doing.