Hi, I just wanted to say 'Thank You!' to Tom's Community! (I'm not leaving)

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Hi. I joined a while back in August 2013. I asked a bunch of questions regarding building a system, and did some in depth research and got some very helpful and in depth responses to everything I asked.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me and out and took their time to explain things in great detail and generally be a fantastic community of support and learning. Heck, I'll just say thanks to everyone here. This is a wonderful environment that encourages learning that also encourages a place where people don't feel ashamed to ask what they feel might be silly questions (that last part refers to me.)

I ended up worrying about XP and its end of days, because my old system had XP, so after doing more research, I decided to get a PC at Mircrocenter, after looking at their website. This is not to say I'll never build my own in the future. In fact, I look forward to building my first system, but I was too worried that I absolutely needed a computer that worked in order to do my work (I'm a graphic designer.)

I'm extremely pleased with Microcenter, and the PC I ended up purchasing. It is more than enough to support the heavy resource hogs that Adobe programs tend to be, and I also purchased a 3 year warranty for peace of mind. I have a Microcenter within driving distance, so I was able to pick up my new system in person.

If anyone is interested, I got the Powerspec G14. Here's some general specs on it, plus the OS and antivirus I purchased:

Haswell i7 3.50 GHz
16Gb DDR RAM
ASRock 787 Extreme 4
Intergrated Sound
GTX 760
Windows 7 Pro
128 SSD
2 Terabyte Data Drive (1 x 2 1TB Drives)
NOD32 Antivirus

So once again, thank you to everyone that took the time to help me and teach me. I've learned a whole lot, and I will definitely be building a PC in the future (probably a lower end one... just because I want the experience) when my financial stability is not as rocky.

You guys are all awesome and amazing. Thanks from the bottom of my heart! :) I'm not leaving or saying goodbye. I just wanted to express my gratitude.

Solution
glad you found some of the answers you were looking for.

i too would have suggested that you build your own (its really not hard and its rewarding) but its not for all people. some just want to buy something that works.

i probably would have suggested a 256gb ssd as the one you have now after you count the os (30gb) and the never fill past 80% capacity rules for ssds (do follow this if you want it to last longer) you are left with only 60gb of useable space which might not be enough for all of your programs.

everything else though looks to be fine.

be sure to stop back if you ever have more questions as we have plenty of experts who can help.
glad you found some of the answers you were looking for.

i too would have suggested that you build your own (its really not hard and its rewarding) but its not for all people. some just want to buy something that works.

i probably would have suggested a 256gb ssd as the one you have now after you count the os (30gb) and the never fill past 80% capacity rules for ssds (do follow this if you want it to last longer) you are left with only 60gb of useable space which might not be enough for all of your programs.

everything else though looks to be fine.

be sure to stop back if you ever have more questions as we have plenty of experts who can help.

Solution