Sapphire HD 6870 triple monitor display issues (Windows 8)

astringer4

Reputable
May 10, 2014
My 6870 graphics card has:

1 x HDMI
1 x DisplayPort
2 x DVI (1 Single Link, 1 Dual Link)

When trying to hook up all three of my displays to the card, I get the following error message: "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings." Windows 8 is able to detect all the monitors and use them effectively, but it will only let me have 2 of the displays active at the same time.

I know fairly minimal about which ports have to be "active" in order for the displays to work, but I have tried the following combination set ups all with no success:

Display 1: HDMI to HDMI
Display 2: DVI port with VGA converter to VGA
Display 3: DisplayPort with HDMI converter to HDMI

and

Display 1: HDMI to HDMI
Display 2: DVI to DVI
Display 3: DVI port with VGA converter to VGA

any advice on how to get all 3 of my displays working properly would be greatly appreciated!

astringer4

Reputable
May 10, 2014

Yes, and it is only able to prompt me to which display I would like to replace in order to make way for the third one. Pretty much same deal, it detects all three, but it is unable to display on all three simultaneously.

you'd think, the great graphics card manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, if providing a display port on their cards................ it would be "ready to go".

yes, noticed the cables, thanks.

while I'm thinking about it, I believe I read that some monitors already have a built in one. ( active display port ).

Xonatron

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
KevinAr18, thanks for that break down. I have been trying everything to get my third monitor working, getting the same error as the OP. I now have a MDP2DVI3 adapter, but it must not be ACTIVE. I am guessing it is PASSIVE and is acting like a DVI or HDMI (which I have tested will not work as a third monitor).