Addvices for avoiding bad cards

Diplomacy

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for stopping by.

For one month I am researching everything about video cards in order to make a most suitable choice for me. At this moment I am for HD 7770 or HD 7790 (just searching for best offer on the market). Since I am looking, also, at second hand products, the risk to get something that just looks ok in the beginning and then to discover that it has several defects is big.
So, what should I ask to the seller before going to test the card? - this could save a lot of time. One possible question could be: If the card is working with latest drivers.
Then, where should I look when I go to test the card? - here I mean some physical signs of defection and also some signs while testing it at the computer.

Thanks in advance!

Computersloeber

Distinguished
Make a clear deal with the seller that always helps. Then ask if the card is working properly and if he can show you that it is, he can do this with benchmark tests or running games and see if the result is satisfactory. Also is the price is very low ask the seller why this is the case. Most people don't sell perfectly working stuff for a low price.

Vitric9

Distinguished
I would avoid getting used parts from people you don't know and sometimes even more so people you do know, speaking from experience. But if you do decide to test out a used graphics card get the owner to run MSI Afterbuner or EVGA precision to show what the GPU is running at ie: Temperature, Clock speed, Voltage...ect. High temps on a low clock speed would be bad. for example a Radeon HD 6870 running at 650MHz and 95°C= bad:( , something like that. As for physical signs rust is not good also swollen capacitors is bad, more MB related.That is about it off the top of my head. Funny enough the only experience I have with a used Graphics card is good and I got a HD 6870 from a neighbour and it ran fine. did a bit hot due to a lot of dust.

Diplomacy

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks a lot guys! Yea this are good advices for somebody like me who is searching also for second hand cards.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
If you buy through ebay, if the card doesnt work properly then return it, simple as that. Paypal will refund you as long as you attach the tracking number for the return.

I have bought quite a few parts used though and NEVER had anything faulty.

Things I have bought used through ebay in the last 24 months with no issue.

Asus mobo with i3 540
MSi mobo with Q8300
i5 3470
GTX 460
GTX 560
GTX 560 ti 448core
GTX 650 Ti Boost
GTX 660 OEM
GTX 680

Most of these have been for friends or familys computers and all are working fine. The I3 I still have overclocked to 4.0Ghz as a secondary pc with the 660 OEM, and I am using the GTX 680 which I have liquid cooled. Again, no issues whatsoever.

Vitric9

Distinguished

WOW... that is a feat to OC an i3....what MB did you use if you don't mind my asking?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

ASUS P7H55-M PRO. It was actually very easy overclock also. It has hyperthreading so shows as 4 threads. As a secondary computer its not bad, still plays most things just fine.

Diplomacy

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Thanks for your answer.

Yea lucky you that you have access to ebay. I have to search for something in Moldova where is not that easy to make an ebay purchase. Still, I can try through a Romanian mini-ebay :) but there people are not all the time trustworthy and the host website is not that powerful. So that's why I need to be bale to recognize good from bad by signs :)

TRENDING THREADS