News Flash: Young leader makes major mistake for the future of his country!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-...hreat-to-conduct-nuclear-missile-test/5444634

This young leader, IMO, may very well be the end of North Korea, he has not learned just because you can, doesn't mean you should, he has no learned wisdom to base his countries future on.

He could however be a puppet with someone else pulling the strings but threats to proceed with nuclear weapon testing?

And just where would this testing take place!

Just plain logic would tell you, if you are at the center of a major crossfire, do not provoke your neighbors!

Thoughts?

Solution
I'd just close the border with South Korea and forget them ... just ignore them ... problem solved. They need South Korea more than South Korea needs them. Just close the border.

OK. I'm sorry, please calm down...

My thoughts on this? Everything North Korea has ever done has been a sham, just empty threats. I'm surprised nobody has wiped the nation off the face of the earth with all the human rights violations going on in there. That'll probably happen right when China decides to stop supporting them anyway.

No Problemo!

Nuclear testing could affect China as well depending on exactly where they would plan to test their nuclear experiment?

Fallout drifting over China shouldn't be something China would want to happen, so North Korean actions could have repercussions they don't yet fully comprehend?

The problem is that very few of the North Koreans actually understand these repercussions, even most of the people in power are deluded.

Just look at these clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M7egqcX90I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7J2Nnl7Ano

The sheer amount of enthusiasm these news anchors put into their work shows how little they actually know of the problems of their own country, or those of the world around them for that matter. They praise the dictator that kills tens of thousands of people by putting them into concentration camps. And they praise him just because they have been told to do so since the day they could understand their own language.

If only a few people know how things really are, the system is bound to fail at some point. I'd actually be happy if they did these test and that led to a failure like this. Maybe then the people would realize how bad their government really is.

i dont think its so much they dont understand it,but rather they are too afraid to voice an opinion.independant thought is a dangerous thing in north korea as big brother is everywhere.as to where he would do the test,probably underwater,but he is just enough of a loon to pick an isolated spot in his own country.anyone living there would be giving his life in the service of the leader so to speak.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Nothing is going to happen to NK any time soon. China likes them right where they are.

If NK needs to be removed its China thats going to do it. There is no way they would ever let Americas military into a country it shares a border with. Reunification wont happen.

That is so true. But some people think that if China's communist dictatorship collapse and democracy is established, then Korea's reunification can happen. And I agree that unification can happen. But I am sure China will request all US military bases and facilities be removed.

My personal feeling is in hopes we the US would just stay out of world things simply because of the many times we've screwed it up getting involved in them, but in the case of NK testing nuclear weapons it's not like they just want an equalization factor like they claim?

What would they do if they had that capability and it was 100% capable and effective, nuke their neighbor SK, does anyone actually think China trusts them that much, the fallout from such an action would be devastating.

War is an ugly thing but a Nuclear war is just something that needs not be done period!

The planetary repercussions are too great, we as a society have already done way too much to this planet, polluting it and we surely don't need anymore radiation floating around or under the sea effecting the planets balance of life!

Not even testing radiation, so these threats to me are more like future promises of action, and the US government, (Not the People!), doesn't need an open direct threat as an excuse to take action, that they don't even have to fabricate!

Like for instance, Iraq having weapons of mass destruction! (Get my point!)

So NK making these threats of testing is actually laying a foundation for future action against them whether they realize it now, or not!

Just my own personal opinion as one individual US citizen.

I agree 100%, China would never let them detonate a nuke so close to its borders.

Nevertheless, it's probably going to happen sooner or later. I personally hope it would happen sooner if it does happen at all (which hopefully won't happen). That would at least provoke the current 'superpowers' to 'liberate' NK and prevent any further oppression of the North Korean people.

I don't like that idea of any sort of nuclear explosion and "liberation" by military force from another country. Military peace keeping forces from UN is welcomed to protect innocent refugees, but that's it. I think if the people are being oppressed enough, someone will be brave enough and overthrow the tyrant.

English is not my native language so I couldn't come up with a better word than liberation, that's why I put apostrophes around it. I mean 'liberation' as in someone overthrowing the government and then letting them establish a new one, not like the 'liberation' that soviets applied on countries like Hungary during/after WW2.

You use the word "liberation" correctly. So, you don't need to use " " around it. By putting " " around liberation, it means military incursion from another county to influence their politics and government. Well, at least that's how I feel.

I think if the people are being oppressed enough, someone will be brave enough and overthrow the tyrant.

I partially agree, the problem with NK is that the people have been so indoctrinated that they might not want to overthrow the leader; They might believe that their government is trying to help them while the rest of the world (mainly the US) is causing all of their problems.

The same pattern repeats itself over and over again: Hitler was idolized so much that his most fanatic followers were the young children who had been told to follow him all their lives. When Nazi Germany was running out of soldiers, they started to send underage boys to fight for them and the youngsters even had a plan to get their leader out of Berlin before it was invaded; they were voluntarily ready to die for him.

That has been going on in NK for as long as the country has existed (1948-present) so I doubt that anyone will be able to rise against their leader before being ratted out by their peers.

Anomy_

Reputable
May 24, 2014

Any display of enthusiasm may be their attempt to avoid the concentration camps themselves.
Or perhaps their trying to keep from being fed to the dogs.
Then there is the thing about Stockholm Syndrome, identifying and supporting the captors.
And if there is a captive population that population would be North Koreans.

It isn't like us here in (pick a country) have actual, factual news ourselves.

Far as Un's wanting to nuclear test, it's a long established MO of NK, when NK wants something they behave badly until someone gives them something to shut them up. We'll have to see if they continue with that MO.

Far as CHina, I imagine China is like a Mobster and NK the Mobsters Crazy Little Brother, Lil Bro is nothing without Big Bro's protection and Big Bro allows the crazy to continue because Crazy Lil Bro serves some kind of purpose, or may serve some purpose in the future.

NK reminds me of a neighbor we once had, they would poke and prod and irritate the neighborhood but never did something that could justify taking action because they knew that if they did something that could justify taking action it would probably be the end of them.

@Anomy_:

Any display of enthusiasm may be their attempt to avoid the concentration camps themselves.
Or perhaps their trying to keep from being fed to the dogs.
Then there is the thing about Stockholm Syndrome, identifying and supporting the captors.
And if there is a captive population that population would be North Koreans.
Could be true as well.

It isn't like us here in (pick a country) have actual, factual news ourselves.

Far as Un's wanting to nuclear test, it's a long established MO of NK, when NK wants something they behave badly until someone gives them something to shut them up. We'll have to see if they continue with that MO.

Far as CHina, I imagine China is like a Mobster and NK the Mobsters Crazy Little Brother, Lil Bro is nothing without Big Bro's protection and Big Bro allows the crazy to continue because Crazy Lil Bro serves some kind of purpose, or may serve some purpose in the future.

NK reminds me of a neighbor we once had, they would poke and prod and irritate the neighborhood but never did something that could justify taking action because they knew that if they did something that could justify taking action it would probably be the end of them.
Agreed, nice metaphors :)