dual channel 1866 vs quad channel 1600

tsnowolf81

Reputable
May 11, 2014
So I've seen it posted allot around what I need but not hitting it on the dot.
For the hypothetical assume I use more processing power than 5 average programmers and renderers can use at once. So much so that I’m looking for the absolute best of only option A or B. I live in a void where nothing else exists. Just option A or B.
Option A: Alienware 18
4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4940MX (3.1GHz - 4.0GHz, 8MB Intel® Smart Cache)
32GB DDR3 1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x8GB SODIMMS)
SLI (2x) - NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 880M (16.0GB total) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11
1TB (2x) Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD [SSD2 - SATA III] Read 540MB/s - Write 520MB/s
Vs
Option B: Sager NP9570 / Clevo P570WM
Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Extreme, 3.5-4.0GHz (22nm, 15MB L3 smart cache - 6 cores / 12 threads)
32GB DDR3 1600MHz [4x8GB] Quad Channel Memory
SLI (2x) - NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 880M (16.0GB total) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11
1TB (2x) Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD [SSD2 - SATA III] Read 540MB/s - Write 520MB/s
Now branding and service is a non point. Don’t care. Bells and whistles/screen related stuff, also don’t care, I know the details of all that and can weigh that on my own.
Known heat or product specific issues are worth noting.
Main question is which will give me the absolute biggest bang, money is not my concern. I need raw power.
Specifically what will be the difference between the 2 ram sets. I know the 6 core cpu has an edge over the 4 core but when it comes to the ram I’m not sure which will have the edge and when paired with there respective processors which setup will be better for what eg. Raw processing speed, and also or separately, multitasking.
I hear a lot of you don’t need’s in forums but forget that assume I do cus in reality I do. And yes I can get more out of a desk top but also not the question. I have those. I need a laptop.
And just for the nit pickers I program in several languages, I record and edit music ( all audio input on separate channels for entire bands, edit videos both personally recorded from up to 30 synchronized cameras simultaneously then edited down, and also I do graphic rendering. And on top of that I game. All latest high intensity graphics tittles both multiplayer online and solo. I also do cad/cam for electronic and mechanical design.
Batt Power and sound are a non issue. I have that covered in spades on all fronts.
Thank you for your time and insight in advance for anyone who can help me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the timings of the ram. 1866 by nature should be faster than 1600, but if the 1866 is CL 11 its going to be overall slower than 1600 @ CL9. Ideally if you get the 1866 @ CL9 then it will be a much faster ram than the 1600.
There are explanations of the formulae to be found online, and depending on exactly what the ram is, eg. Corsair Dominator Platinum comes in 1600 CL7, will determine your best answer.

tsnowolf81

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Undecided as of yet, so what I’m getting is that regardless of 2 or 4 channel or ram size or speed, the actual latency for whatever it’s clocked to is the prime factor of speed? What then would the other factors be contributing to specifically?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It basically a combination of high freq and low CL, look for performance sticks along these lines

1600/7 1866/8 2133/9 2400/10 2666/11 all are considered performance (and of course a lower CL at the matched freq would be even better