Wildstar MMOG Launches Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at it this way. WHY would anyone move with an established list of characters with WEEKS of gameplay and progress from one subcription MMO, like WoW, to a different one where they need to start all over again?
The "new" MMO would need to have one hell of a pull for that to happen, and to be honest, Wildstar is not publicised enough nor innovative enough that I am aware of, which amounts to not existing in hardened MMO minds.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Lots of WoW fan boys afraid of a little competition it seems. The game was made by the original WoW devs that left blizzard, it shows, and it's quality. The combat is also very unique and skill-based, something MMO players seem to be afraid of these days.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Lots of WoW fan boys afraid of a little competition it seems. The game was made by the original WoW devs that left blizzard, it shows, and it's quality. The combat is also very unique and skill-based, something MMO players seem to be afraid of these days.

NaGromOne

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Watch out Carbine, NCsoft partnered with Paragon, raked in as much as they could from CoH then tipped them out with the garbage. Their past actions suggest they can't be trusted so I'm not investing time or effort into Wildstar. Might be a great game, probably built on quicksand.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
From the gameplay footage, it looks like a crappy game that will become boring very quickly. The gameplay is repetitive, grind intensive, and is not very balanced.

whats worst, is that they want $15 a month on top of the insane initial purchase price, all for what is essentially poorly thought out quests, and lots of grinding.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Played the beta, so far its the most fun I've had playing an MMO in awhile. The combat is actually fun and the story is pretty good. Quests are average though, pretty much run of the mill with a few good ones thrown in. Basically the Path quests are the ones that are fun IMO.

Graphics are nothing great but the zones are well designed.

viliu24

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
"Look out Blizzard" , after 10 years there is going to be a.... . Wth is that mean? wow won't have a competitor , after 10 years there is no way that you can say that a game will have a competitor.It is like counter strike, there are so many alternative , but what makes it popular , keeps it popular. There is not going to be any wow killer or wow alternative . To be a an alternative it has to offer similar or better gameplay and features on the same period of time.The only thing that wow is going to die , is going to be by the old age. Yeah , i completly agree that will be a new and super and innovative and amazing and... but that doesnt mean is going to be a threat to wow. Wow has its own comunity and there is less and less chances to get new players, so they wont loose much. The wow players isnt going to migrate to another game if blizzard will come out with new features and quality expansions...
ps:when some game publisher/developer will think that they will have a way to get blizzard customers , blizzard will throw out on the table Titan.
So dont worry, Blizzard knows how to keep their pockets full...

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
This game isn't going to give any of the established games any issues. This is the first MMO in a long time I've played where I didn't have any desire to log back in. It'll satisfy some people, I'm sure, and it may even manage to stay out of going f2p for a little while, but I sincerely doubt that it will avoid it for more than a year and a half.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I played for a bit, and it seemed to be targeted at young folks, like under 16. The music, which really makes or breaks a game for me, was abhorrent, Just like every other game out there, this may or may not be your cuppa tea.

holyneo

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I played to level 20, and I am hooked. The dungeons are intense and crazy fun. This will separate the hard core vs. Amateur gamers. Btw when wow comes out with expansion you do start over time after time. So I can't wait till release.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Yes, all us MMO players fear the day when combat becomes more intuitive and fun................. If you like this game, thats great, but I feel like your setting your standards a bit low without even knowing it, which is sad...double sad. Personally im turned off by the sort of random cartoony art direction alone, but the game play looks horrid and about as interactive as guild wars 2. I would play ESO before this and that sez A LOT lol.

I downloaded and made a character, but couldn't give it a fair chance. I think I might be done with that genre of game. SWG was special, to me. Beyond that, the MMO genre doesn't have much appeal. I might try Shadowrun Online when it hits the streets but there is no way it can compete with the vision of the game, in my head. I already know I will be let down.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
you should check out star citizen. That is the game that will revive your faith in MMO's if any.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

yes im glad star citizen tries hard to not fit the standard mold of most MMO games, but u will notice it is still a massively multiplayer online game.

quarrel

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Tried the beta, didn't like it. The art style is too kidish and flashy. Almost like it is trying to hard.

Everyone says the combat is new and different while it's not, its basically an aoe attack for everything. Its another grindy, theme park mmo.

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

a) it has single player. b) it has private multiplayer. c) it has instanced systems in the persistent universe, so you can't fleet battle like in EVE making it far less than "massive" for its spaceflight sub genre.

All three of these things work against calling Star Citizen an MMO. It's a multiplayer game, and you interact with people, and the universe doesn't reset when you log out.

It has MMO elements to it, sure, but so do games like Dark Souls and Diablo III, neither of which is an MMO.

Not every game with multplayer is an MMO. MMOs are online-only games where truly massive numbers of players (not 64 or 128 or whatever, but multiple hundreds and on into into thousands) can interact with each other in a persistent environment.

It doesn't have to be an RPG to be an MMO, but PlanetSide had hundreds of players shooting. EvE has fleet battles of hundreds to thousands.

Star Citizen should be a good game. (I pledged during the original Kickstarter. I follow dev mails. I have my alpha hanger software installed.) But the fact that it will be a good game and that part of it is persistent with limited players doesn't make it an MMO.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

haha wtf. your thinking way to deep into this buddy. It is an MMO in the sense that hundreds of thousands of players will exist in the same persistent universe ppperriood. Massively multiplayer online is all that means. Players can shape the universe via exploration, trade etc. Just because you can only fit 100 people in an instance of a star system doesn't mean the game is incapable of being an MMO. Also, there are plenty of standard MMO's that include instancing. Star Trek Online?

Your obviously a proud citizen, so you probably know they have not decided exactly how instancing will work or how many players can be present. I get that your a huge SC fan and probably don't want it depicted as an MMO, but it is what it is my friend. The PU, by definition IS an MMO, but it strives to be better than the standard mold of an MMO which you have hard coded into your brain, which is EVE etc. thousands of players being able to meet face to face to face rape each other in slow motion...yes this is eve null sec lol. I guess it all depends on your definition of massive. The SC PU feels pretty massive, interactive and dynamic to me, without being sh!tty like eve or STO.

It sounds interesting. I will check it out.

KrzysiekX10

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
You should REALLY do some benchmarks of this card! Especially tests with large resolutions AND tests with decent resolutions (1080p) but with supersampling (set either in the game options menu or in the Catalyst menu)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.