Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Macbook A1342 (mid 2010, 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo) RAM advice: 4gigs or 8?

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Macbook
  • Mac OS X
Last response: in Mac Os X
May 13, 2014 9:13:02 AM

I recently repaired a macbook model A1342 and have been using it. I have never used a mac before.

I am considering upgrading the RAM from the stock 2GB to either 4 or 8 GB.

I am wondering if this macbook will gain a noticeable boost in performance from 8 GB? Or do you think that the rest of the hardware limitations will make 4GB a more reasonable selection?

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Having not used a macbook before I am not sure what the better RAM upgrade would be.

I am just looking for better performance from games like Sims 3, flash projector applications, photoshop etc.

Thank you.

More about : macbook a1342 mid 2010 4ghz intel core duo ram advice 4gigs

May 13, 2014 11:40:21 AM

What version of OS X are you running. According to http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/mac...
"*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that it actually supports 8 GB of RAM running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and 16 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7.5 "Lion" or higher and the latest EFI update."
I believe there will be a noticeable difference in performance going from 2GB to 8GB. No doubt you will see a performance boost going from 2 to 4. How much of an upgrade you can make depends on what version, as noted above, of OS X you are running.
May 13, 2014 11:48:36 AM

Aye, I have read that as well and am capable of installing the 8GB on my OS. I am actually capable of upgrading the unit to 16GB but sources say that the laptop's processor and other architecture wouldn't really allow the macbook to take full advantage of the 16GB.
May 13, 2014 11:54:27 AM

guy4040 said:
Aye, I have read that as well and am capable of installing the 8GB on my OS. I am actually capable of upgrading the unit to 16GB but sources say that the laptop's processor and other architecture wouldn't really allow the macbook to take full advantage of the 16GB.

That being the case I believe the upgrade to 8GB is worth the investment especially since you are working with Photoshop and Flash Projector applications.