Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering

Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering

• Total voters

Bresser

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I am a junior in high school, and I am looking at what I should take for college. I have a brief overview of both are. Computer Engineering is designing computer hardware and software, and Electrical Engineering is designing ciruits and stuff. I have built my own computer and have worked with arduino projects. I liked them both.

Can someone go into detail about the pros and cons of both (Money, Job Availability)

And also could someone give me a more in depth overview of what both really do?

electrical engineering can range from working with low voltages such as those used in electronics all the way up to 500,000kva or more used for transmitting power from plants across the country. you could be making simple circuits, complex electronic circuits or factoring in big equipment like transformers. there are lots of job opportunities in this field. as far as money is concerned that depends on what you do. if you do large scale work for power companies there is pretty significant money in it.

electrical engineering has lots of number crunching but also lots of schematic and line drawing reading to break it up.

i have worked in the power field with a few of those engineers. the projects are large but the work isnt too bad if you know what you are doing.

i'm not so sure about computer engineering as i have no direct experience with it. i can say that its quite a bit more complex to design hardware so may be good if you like a challenge. however designing pc parts isnt a huge field and getting a job might be hit or miss. however, you could branch off into designing other electronics (besides computer parts) which opens the field back up quite a bit. software designing is a wide field however requires you to look at lines of code. not sure if you enjoy that or not.

Look around the place you live (or plan to live), what is the job market. if you live in the Bay Area, Boston, Austin - CE is good prospect. EE would land you a job anywhere there are machines running, not just computers.