Severe Ghosting (I Think) on Acer G226HQL Whilst Gaming

Woodsey

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
As far as I know I've never had a problem with ghosting before so I'm not sure what it looks like, but its the best term I can find to describe my problem.

Recently bought an Acer G226HQL monitor and now in games any movement will cause the screen to darken by a very noticeable amount as colours deepen, as far as I can see because the entire image is blurring slightly as I turn the camera. It is improved or worsened ever so slightly depending upon the game, scene, brightness and contrast settings and so on but it always remains noticeable. The exception is DayZ, which I played exclusively for a while and didn't really realise.

Currently it's connected with an HDMI cable using a DVI adapted in the back of the monitor (no HDMI port). I never noticed this on my old monitor which was a small TV that I was using. However, that did only require an HDMI cable.

Things I've tried:

- Cycled through presets on monitor ('Gaming', 'Eco', 'Movies', etc)
- Adjusting brightness, contrast on monitor, in AMD Catalyst, in each game
- Looked for dynamic contrast settings hidden in Windows power options (there wasn't one)
- Looked for dynamic contrast setting on monitor (there was one, didn't change anything)
- Flicked through settings in the monitor's 'service menu'
- Changed from HDMI cable to VGA cable with DVI adapted going into the PC, may have lessened it ever-so-slightly but I kinda put that down to placebo.
- Downloading drivers for the monitor from Acer (there are none on their website)
- Set refresh rate from 60hz to 59hz on the monitor

Part of me suspected it was a dynamic contrast setting but I can't find one anywhere and this doesn't affect anything but games as far as I can tell.

(It's probably worth noting also that I've upgraded from an HD 5770 to a Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X as well, but as I also went through an R7 265 between those two - briefly - and had the same problem I'm assuming it's nothing to do with the card.)

System:

AsRock Z68 PRO3
Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHz
Sapphire Dual-X R9 270 OC 2GB
8GB RAM
Corsair CX 600
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Crucial M500 SSD 240GB

Woodsey

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Will using a VGA cable instead with a DVI adapter cause a fidelity loss compared to the HDMI with DVI adapter?

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

If possible, try to stay away from VGA. Can't you do DVI to DVI? That would be the best option.

Woodsey

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Have ordered a DVI cable from Amazon, will see if it changes anything.

Woodsey

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

DVI cable arrived, is exactly the same if not worse than before (probably put that down to me not using the PC for for days, though).

Used this test: http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting&background=004040&separation=1000&pps=720&pursuit=0

Undoubtedly ghosting. But so badly I'm surprised it wasn't picked up on more in reviews and such.

Darknut

Reputable
May 29, 2014

I have the exact same problem... I tried returning to the store but the assholes claimed they didnt see anything wrong with it :-(