I would like some game recommendations - Strategy, FPS, point and click advendure etc.

luobinruidian

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Hi,

First I should probably say that I am only interested in PC games, not console.

My favourite game genres are strategy and point and click adventures. I also enjoy FPS games but prefer them to be offline/singleplayer experiences over online/multiplayer oriented games and franchises. Also I do enjoy other genres, but the three listed above are my favourites overall.

I will list some of my favourite games that comes first to my mind and I would be very thankful if you could list some other games that you think that I might enjoy. Be it old classics or new games that I might have missed out on. Big franchise games or indie games, doesn't matter.

Point and click adventures
Day of the Tentacle
Deponia
Broken Sword
Monkey Island
The Whispered World

As you can see I mostly fall in love with cartoony/artsy point and click adventure games, even though I do enjoy games with realistic looks too.

Strategy
Europa Universalis
Age of Empires
Crusader Kings
Dark Reign (only the first)
Red Alert

In strategy I prefer both grand and more indept games like Europa Universalis but I also enjoy more simple strategy games such as Age of Empires. I do however prefer "old school" 2D style more than new strategy games in 3D.

FPS
Battlefield (singleplayer in 3-4)
Metro 2033
Dishonored
Half-Life
Bioshock

I prefer singleplayer FPS over multiplayer, and I like it when there is some interesting story being told. Some multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike I do like however, so do not rule this out totally.

Others
Sim City
Theme Hospital
Minecraft
Trine
Skyrim

When it comes to other games I don't know how to explain, but here are five games that I really enjoyed playing. Physics, exploring, building, quests and adventure is always interesting.

Thanks for your answers.

I'm not into point and click games, so I'm afraid I can't recommend any of those from personal experience. I have heard very good things about Myst and its various remakes, but I'm pretty sure you've already heard of that.

The closest thing I've come to playing is Analogue: A Hate Story, which is actually not a point and click adventure game. I believe the genre is interactive graphic novel? It looks like random cliched anime... It's actually interesting and sort of disturbing. At least, it was when I played it through the night once. The reviews are meh.

I also like Metro, Dishonored, and Half Life. Never played Bioshock, but I assume we have similar taste in shooters from the other three. Unfortunately you've also listed most of the shooters I would have suggested. XD

Based on your description of other games you like, mixed with your shooter interests, I might recommend Far Cry 3. I thought I was going to hate it (a lot of the progression sounded stupid to me at first) but I picked it up on sale and it ended up being one of my favorite games. The controls handle similarly to Dishonored with the same kind of fluidity and shooting/stealth mechanics. Sadly the climbing options are bit more limited in FC3 than in Dishonored, but it's open world so that pretty much makes up for it. FC3 is supposed to have an emphasis on story, but whether you like that part of it depends heavily on your opinion of what makes a good story, because the setting and plot drew a lot of flak from critics, but I quite liked it.

I'm also going to direct your attention to Black Mesa; a graphically impressive fan remake of the original Half Life. You didn't specify if you liked Half Life 1, or 2, or whichever. But in case you don't know, here it is. http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Matthew-san

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
If you haven't tried the Total War series then you ought to give it a shot, it's a strategy game series ranging anywhere from the Roman period up to the American Revolution. The newest game in the series is Rome II and it's probably my favorite strategy game but beware, a lot people have technical difficulties with it but I hope most of the issues with the game have been patched by now.

For FPS I would suggest Crysis 3, it's one of the best looking games on PC and it has a very fun and strangely emotional campaign. I played the campaign for about 20 something hours before I even tried the multiplayer.

FastGunna

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
FPS: I second Far Cry 3, it is one of my favorite games. Im currently on my 6th playthrough and still enjoying it. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon was also a good bit of fun but ive only played through it once.

RTS: I recently picked up Sins of a solar Empire: Rebellion and have been having a good amount of fun with it.

Other: Witcher Series.

frankiz_mtl

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
In strategy you might be interested by Civilization V, my personal favourite with over a thousand hours. Civ is similar to Europa Universalis, in a bit less complicated (at least for starters, but it gets deeper and deeper as you discover more things, options, etc.), prettier and turn-based. Also the Total War franchise, as suggested by Matthew-san
If you like SimCity and strategy games there is also the Anno series, a city strategy, more than simulation.

Sadly, I'm not a big connoisseur in point-and-click games and not a big player of fps, but I enjoyed the Mass Effect Trilogy, more action than fps, because of the prominent place of the story

Also, it harldy fits in your categories but I would highly suggest Assassin's Creed Black Flag to anyone

Have a nice gaming day

luobinruidian

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Thanks for the answers, and any suggestions are welcomed.

You have listed a couple of games that I haven't played and they did look very interesting when I checked them up. Witcher, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Total War and Black Mesa I will surely try out.

I have heard that Dark Souls 2 should be a good game, but that it has a lot of bugs for the PC version, so I haven't tried it out yet.

Matthew-san

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I haven't tried Dark Souls 2 but it's gotten a lot of good reviews. I think it has a 91 on metacritic, and any game that gets a 90 or higher on metacritic is probably worth playing.

Dark Souls 2 had bugs when it launched (crashing, audio bugs, etc) but as far as I'm aware those have been patched. I've been playing for 100+ hours on the PC version of Dark Souls 2 so far (bought it after the first 2 patches had already released), with no crashes or bugs. My brother got a couple CTDs a few days after it released, but he was running a lot of mods at the time, and now it's fine. It's one of my favorite games.

luobinruidian

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Thanks again for all the suggestions, many interesting games for sure.

Sounds good that the bugs in Dark Souls 2 seems to be fixed now, will most likely look into this game.

Squeak UK

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
I highly recommend...............................
Myst,
&
Exile
These will run on original Windows 7 Home Edition' 64bit or earlier.....
the updates especially inflicted pre-W10 messed things up...
AND don't allow Quick Time updates.

Riven, apparently now available for tablet. If you can find the original CD 5discs you will need to find an old computer... I'm replaying it on Windows ME. There is a DVD version but its easiest to find an older computer. It is available to download but read comments about running and save problems.

'Unreal - The Awakening' .... a good one for those new at FPS ... BUT for those seasoned ... still a journey...

Omega Stone, has a collect and use mechanic (will run on original Windows 7 Home Edition' 64bit or earlier).

This years releases.... 2016.............
The 'Witness' and sooooon to be released 'Obduction'................

What ones have you found?