• SSHD
  • Hard Drives
  • Computers
  • Storage
  • Build
  • SSD
Last response: in Storage
May 14, 2014 10:25:31 PM

Hello guys! My computer build is almost complete, but I'm very conflicted on what to do in terms of storage. Here's my current build:
PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $320.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $150.00)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $69.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($87.18 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($115.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card (Purchased For $534.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $90.00)
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $89.88)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $18.53)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $15.00)
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Perfect Pixel 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $368.90)
Case Fan: Cougar Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $5.00)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire XT Wired Slim Keyboard ($82.00)
Mouse: Perixx MX-3000B Wired Laser Mouse ($27.23 @ Newegg)
Total: $2003.64

I've got basically three options (if you guys really recommend a different SSD/HDD/SSHD then let me know):
  • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk + Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

• Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

• Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk + Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive

I'd be storing the OS on the SSD, and all applications on the HDD/SSHD. Which of these would you guys recommend and which would provide "the most bang for my buck"? Will pairing a SSD with a SSHD really provide any performance advantage over the SSD+ HDD? If so, how much of an advantage? It is only $35 more than a HDD, but is it really worth that extra price? I also could just get a single SSHD, but I'm not really sure how recommended this is. If it matters, I'll be using this computer for gaming.
  • More about : sshd ssd sshd hdd ssd

May 15, 2014 3:07:36 AM

The SSD + HDD would be the best option. You could partition away 60GB or less on your SSD to use as a cache for the HDD. Your HDD will be like a SSHD but with more cache so it will have better performance.
    May 15, 2014 3:53:49 AM

Also, instead of having your applications on the HDD, why don't you just have OS + Apps (that fit) and then just store data on the hdd. And, you might want to have a 120 Gb partition on the HDD which is regularly cloned from the SSD for safety. (Then backup the 1.88 Tb volume to another disk.)

One last thing, have you cosidered a more reliable SSD + HDD? Like a Crucial M550 and a WD Black/Blue/Green?
    Related resources
    May 15, 2014 5:08:22 PM

gg61 said:
    Also, instead of having your applications on the HDD, why don't you just have OS + Apps (that fit) and then just store data on the hdd. And, you might want to have a 120 Gb partition on the HDD which is regularly cloned from the SSD for safety. (Then backup the 1.88 Tb volume to another disk.)

One last thing, have you cosidered a more reliable SSD + HDD? Like a Crucial M550 and a WD Black/Blue/Green?

Okay, I'll combine a SSD with a HDD. Is this the SSD you are talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ? In what ways is it better than the Samsung 840 Evo? Unfortunately I already bid on it on eBay (new) so unless I lose last minute I'm probably stuck with the Evo. Is it really that much better?

How's the Seagate 2TB Barracuda for my HDD? It's only on sale till tomorrow, so I have to make a decision on it fast.
    a b G Storage
    May 15, 2014 8:28:48 PM

The Samsung is inherently less reliable than most other drives on the market theoretically due to tlc. But if you bought it... I wouldn't go through the pain of replacing it... Just keep a good backup plan and any parts will be incredibly reliable overall.

The benefit of the dual drive system is that you can stimulate the benefits of sshd while having pure ssd speed for select stuff and pure hdd capacity for everything else, thanks to Intel's srt system.
    May 15, 2014 11:27:16 PM

JPNpower said:
    The Samsung is inherently less reliable than most other drives on the market theoretically due to tlc. But if you bought it... I wouldn't go through the pain of replacing it... Just keep a good backup plan and any parts will be incredibly reliable overall.

The benefit of the dual drive system is that you can stimulate the benefits of sshd while having pure ssd speed for select stuff and pure hdd capacity for everything else, thanks to Intel's srt system.

Okay, thanks! I guess it's too late to send the Evo back now, I've already paid for it. How's the Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive?
    May 16, 2014 4:07:05 PM

gg61 said:

JPNpower said:

How about this HDD? As far as I know, it's only on sale today (so I have to make a decision fast) but that's a great deal for a 7200RPM 3TB HDD. It's a Toshiba Internal Hard Drive.
    a b G Storage
    May 16, 2014 7:58:55 PM

Go for it. Buy the cheapest HDD from trusted sellers.

For HDD's, particularly in your case, performance and Brand difference don't matter. There are slight differences in performance and power efficiency, but for your hybrid desktop setup, it won't matter. Hell, I doubt that you'll notice the difference between a 7.2k and 5.4k drive with your rig.

As for reliability, all HDD's have about the same reliability: Not enough.

I'll let others with better knowledge tell you the details, but in general, hard drives tend to fail in the first few months of use or after 5 or so years. Thus, it is wise to replace a 5+ year old Hard drive, and to be cautious with your data on the new HDD for about 4 months. If it does fail early, it is not reason to blame the company. Actually, you only have yourself to blame for ANY data loss ever to say the truth...

Backups are essential. You got a solid backup solution? Even the most reliable WD HDDs and Plextor SSDs can and will fail.
    !