New to PC gaming and was wondering if I should buy a better PC?

Solidus X

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I'm pretty new to PC gaming and I have an HP Pavilion model p6674y desktop PC from like 2 years ago. It was a pretty cheap standard desktop PC. It came stock with an 250w power supply and integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200.

Here are the motherboard specs:
N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
•Form factor: uATX
•Chipset: AMD 785G
•Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
•Front side bus speeds: 1333/1066/800MHz
•Processor socket: AM3
•Expansion Slots
•1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
•3 PCI Express x1 slots
•1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

And The Processor:
AMD Phenom II x4 820
•Operating speed: Up to 2.8 GHz
•Number of cores: 4
•Socket: AM3/AM2+
•Bus speed: 4000 MHz HT3

It has 6GB of memory, a Windows 7 64-bit operating system and a 1TB hard drive. I also have a 32" 1080p LED monitor by Samsung.

I've made a few upgrades since buying it. I replaced the incredibly weak power supply with a Corsair 850w psu and bought an NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti graphics card (overkill for 1080p I know) and updated all the drivers.

My question and concern however is that some of my games STILL chug when I max out their settings at 1080p. I know I can't overclock it because of my processor (I think). Are there any other upgrades I can perform or should I just buy a better PC and keep the desirable parts of my current PC like the GPU, the PSU and the hard drive? Again, I'm new to PC gaming and am not all that great with the tech jargon and the DIY scene. I just like PC gaming and had a little taste and now want more and am learning as I go.

Solidus X

Reputable
May 15, 2014

Thanks for the tip! I was always planning on keeping my current PC or giving it to my mom (sans upgrades). I kept all the original parts so I could always swap them back out. Don't know how much I would get for selling it with the original parts though, since it is pretty old.

But I'm still wondering if I can upgrade what I currently have.

Solidus X

Reputable
May 15, 2014
That's it? Anybody else? Ok. Good. Thanks for the help. My computer is apparently perfect for max gaming! What an awesome community.