Choosing loop coolant

1RuneKing

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Here is my build so far.
I am trying to design a custom water-cooling unit, and now I am down to just the coolant, tubing and fittings.
I have been looking at the coolants, dyes, water choices, and tubing, yet I am still trying to get things figured out.
I have pretty much narrowed down what I am thinking about getting and just need some specific help from pros.
I am looking at either this coolant, or doing distilled water and using these dyes. But if i do the water don't I need to use an antimicrobial deal; such as silver or the fluid? Which would you recommend?
Also, for the dyes, I was wanting to do a red, but maybe with a bit of a glow, but I'll hav some LEDs, I read that UV stains your equipment easily.

Okay, tubing, what would you recommend? I'm mostly doing the color so I can see it in the res up front (I know, such a stupid reason) but should I do colored tubing? Or just do clear with the dyed stuff? Also, since I'm wanting a glow, how about UV reactive clear? What brand would you recommend? And how well does it work?
BTW: I was planning on doin 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD.... But that can change.

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Use distilled water so it is cheaper and easier to flush the system every 6 months. Don't use dyes. Use colored tubing if you must.

Get clear tubing from your local hardware store for the initial setup so it is easier to see the bubbles to bleed from the system.

Buy the cheapest tube cutter that you can get if you don't have really awesome scissors.

color: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlVObOjTT8

tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk3V64ZSsEI

discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7BdBPSx92M

1RuneKing

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Can you tell me why no dye? I keep seeing it all over, some say dye works great, others not so much. But just about everything I have read says that Mayhems has no issues. Do you have experience specifically with those dyes?

1RuneKing

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Right...... Well I get the point, but I have looked at multiple sources, so I'll wait for just another opinion..

If I do just the colored tubing, what do you think about for coloring my res? LEDs? How well would that work?
And I'll do red tubing, do you know of any great ones? Or any good UV red tubings?
Update
For distilled water what antimicrobial should I use? A biocide or a piece of silver? I personally thing seeing a hunk of metal in teh res would look a bit tacky.
And I read things about water wetters and using dish soap to "lube up" the water for less gurgling sound, any tips there?

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Definitely ask people with more experience for recommendation on the biocide.

Just please use a LED strip for coloring since it can be easily swapped out and the clear tubing since the colored tubing tend to be out of spec and cost a lot more. I was just hoping to dissuade you from using dyes when I said the colored tubing. The clear tubing is really good for bleeding and bleeding you must every 6 months. Try to order everything from one brand and the kits should come with fittings.

On the nanofluids, just remember to consider the reorder cost as well.

1RuneKing

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Alright, well after a bit more research I think I'm gonna do a red tubing (clear/see-through), maybe even UV red if I can find a good one :) , and put some strong red LEDs in the res combo of mine, then add in some lights to the case.
And I need this to look )()()()()FANCY()()()()( because it is a 10k build afterall....

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
It probably easy to get 70% of that 10k build's performance with $1,500.

To be honest, the whole time I was trying to get you to stick with a single graphics card solution without any non-AIO water cooling solutions even though I knew about the other thread. So it might be a good idea to make a new thread since I mucked this one up =)

Money will always be complicated. I just buy a $100 - $150 desktop. Swap out the PSU. Pop in some more RAM and a $100 video card. It is never too late to just stick with air cooling since the aftermarket GPU coolers are so nice and include memory cooling. However the giant size CPU heatsinks are annoying but the radiators just move that giant block of metal to another location but the look is definitely cleaner.

I wouldn't be able to sleep if I put in a self made water cooling system in a 10k system. You could just get a 295x or whatever GTX is available when you make the build and use the NZXT Kraken G10 and whatever radiator that it is compatible with.

1RuneKing

Reputable
May 1, 2014

3396132-meme.jpg

1RuneKing

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Hahaha okay, well think of it this way: I'm helping the economy :D