Need a few opinions from the Pros around here

pwnpenguin

Reputable
May 8, 2014
New builder here guys, and first time poster but I've been using this website to do most of my research here for the past few months.
Let me start off by saying that I am going to college Fall of 2014 and my laptop won't cut it for my the work I will need to do in my intended majors of Film and Marine Science. I would hate to constantly rely on the school computers for video editing and scientific simulations or calculations I will need to be doing for my classes. I also love gaming and would like to max most setting and run textures and mod (I mostly game single player like Skyrim, Fallout, etc.) so I will be building a rig sometime before the end of the year now that graduation money is rolling in. So here is the base of my build (but I still have some questions):

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($80.33 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($679.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($231.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE90 V2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2054.23

(Edit Dropped price by ~105$)

It should be a beast of a machine with room to upgrade as needed. For fans I'm leaning towards Corsair SP120's for the H100i, but I still am not sure whether I should do push, pull, or if a push and pull config will even fit in the top? Case fans will be Corsair AF140's and all of the fans will be controlled with the built-in case controller. But is there better 200mm fans on the market?
The big question I have is about the Mobo and CPU. My budget is to stay under 2500$ without peripherals. Will the Z97 Extreme6 and i7-4770k be solid for 4 years or would it be in my best interest to get a cheaper CPU as a place holder until the new Broadwell CPU's are released in a "K version?" From what I understand the 14nm technology will allow for some much cooler temps and improved overclocking. Along with this question, is it an involved task to replace a processor with a different one on a rig? What is involved if I do get a cheap CPU and upgrade when Broadwell comes out?

Thanks for the time. Even though I'm new to building PC's, I have done my research and I love learning new things so don't be afraid to post links for me to read. Any other suggestions to my build are welcome also.

g-unit1111

Titan
It is but you're way overpaying in areas where you don't need to pay. And if it's gaming you're going for, I hate to say it but you're doing it wrong. You should be going SLI 780 on that setup. First of all - Dominator Platinum is an enormous waste of money for any budget, and I don't care if you're paying $1500 or $6500 for a rig, it just doesn't offer anything more than standard RAM does for double and in some cases triple the cost. Second you're also wasting money on the i7 and there's better liquid coolers that you can get than the Corsair H100i.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($153.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.44 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Gunmetal) ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.18 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.18 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2134.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-15 12:39 EDT-0400)

$30 less than the proposed rig and you get SLI out of it.

pwnpenguin

Reputable
May 8, 2014
Thanks for some of the money saving tips g-unit1111, but gaming is not my main use for the system. The main use of it will be HD video editing, rendering, visual effects creation, and gaming is my "side chick" to the video editing. From my research the hyper threading of the i7 will improve my ability to multitask; and video rendering doesn't seem to be improved by SLI configurations. The RAM suggestion will definitely save me some money, I'm going with the G.Skills, do they make their cards in a blue or silver color though? I'll make a revised build and edit my post now.

I also love the look of the White Phantom 820 (and can get a slightly used one from a friend quite cheap) so I'm set on the case.

I should also get your opinion on the NZXT Kraken x60 while I'm at it because the cooler was my hardest decision. Since the Kraken is a 280mm radiator it uses 140mm fans which don't come in a Static Pressure version for some reason. All of the data I found shows the Kraken with good 140mm fans performing just as well as an H100i with the Corsair High Performance SP120 fans. If your experience with the Kraken is different than I would love to hear what sort of temperatures you are getting at idle and load (I'm from the "Show Me State" so I gotta see it to believe it).