Remote Gaming on LAN with HDMI & USB Over Ethernet

blumpkin

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I am hoping this is posted in the right forum; wasn't sure if it would be peripherals or networking due to my setup/situation. I'll explain in as much detail as possible.

I have my nice gaming rig inside the computer room in my home. I enjoy meeting up with some friends online from time to time to play Battlefield 4. The problem - sound travels horribly between my computer room and bedroom. The only time my friends and I play is at night, which is not good with a sleeping wife and 10 month old baby in the bedroom. The clicking of the mechanical keyboard is bad enough, and using my headset to voice chat is out of the question unless I want to wake the wife and kiddo and deal with the consequences.

I do have a detached garage on the property that is about 50-60 feet away from the house. It is currently networked to my home lan over WiFi with a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco wireless bridge. I have a desk inside with an Asus 1080p monitor that accepts VGA/DVI/HDMI. It is currently connected to a woefully underpowered Acer netbook but it works for streaming pandora and loading up diagrams/schematics/manuals while working out there.

Ultimately I would like to game out in the garage without having to build another rig out there to run the game and buy another BF4 license (although I realize this is the proper way to solve my problem). I want to be able to run BF4 from my gaming rig inside the house and play it out in the garage. I've searched high and low and keep running into roadblocks with latency for FPS gaming if I am going to be on a client connected to the gaming rig in the house. I do have a proposed solution though to this issue, and am asking for input:

HDMI over Ethernet - For the distance between the house and the garage this seems like it could work. I don't have a problem burying CAT5/6 between the garage and house to accommodate a solution like this. If it works I will be able to connect my garage display to the Nvidia GTX 690 in the house and see the game as if I was sitting in front of it in the house. I have searched but can't seem to find any information as to whether or not the HDMI over Ethernet solution incurs any latency on the picture. Latency for FPS gaming is a big issue.

If HDMI over Ethernet works I would have to figure out a way to connect both a keyboard and mouse and gaming headset (microphone and earphones) for voice chat back to the gaming rig in the house. Is this even an option? I have seen some USB over Ethernet solutions but am not sure they would fit in an application like this. I do have a Creative USB audio dongle I could connect the MIC/audio jacks on the headset to out in the garage if I could connect it back to the gaming rig in the house somehow.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just looking for input on whether or not this is feasible or a pipe dream.

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
It should be, I know that some HDMI over ethernet will require two ethernet runs one for TX and one for RX and you will need another run for the USB as well so a total of 3 runs will have to be ran from your computer to the garage. I would recommend using a powered hub in the garage for the USB so you are not trying to pull the power all the way from your computer to the garage to power the keyboard/mouse/sound. I do believe you can get a KVM switch that works over ethernet but I am not sure.

As for the latency I am unsure if there would be any and if there was any how much would there be.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=2
HDMI
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2
USB

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I would be interested in running HDMI over LAN as well, not bothered over USB. The adapters listed in previous post seem to need dedicated Ethernet cables point to point. I am looking for something that will work in existing infrastructure. I have hard wired Gigabit ethernet in house , all connected with 24 port gigabit switch, and have Samsung Smart TV and Android TV box which are connected to network. I can for example choose video from my Plex server or a video locally on phone and send it either to the Samsung Smart TV or Android TV box connected to regular TV in bedroom and it will start playing on chosen device. I can also send videos from Youtube app to either of TV's from phone. I would like to send whatever is on PC screen like game or video or even plain desktop to TV over LAN with a software solution. I mean if it can be done on phone that should surely be possible on PC.

sketchy9

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

This is an old thread and I don't know if you've moved on but I happened to find it and might have an answer for you:

http://www.networktechinc.com/usbkvm-hdmi.html

This will extend HDMI and 2-3 USB connections via Cat 5 or higher. I don't know if the latency will be suitable for gaming purposes but I don't see why not. I currently own this product and use it to control my HTPC (which sits in my den) from my TV in the living room. I get full 1080p, DD audio, and have a keyboard, mouse, and a USB IR receiver on the remote unit. There are occasional hiccups, which only occur while resuming from sleep (necessitating a power cycle of the device) but once everything is up and running it's flawless. There's also another product that does basically the same thing except it adds 100 Mbs Ethernet as well (via HDBase-T):

http://www.networktechinc.com/hdmi-usbkvm-hdbt.html