Case exhaust\intake question. New components, old case.

zerosouls

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Hello all,

I have assembled myself a plethora of new computer components and I have a question about the state of my current case, which is the Ultra X-Blaster Mid-Tower case, NOT the v2 case, the model before that. Particularly about what to do with the CPU duct and or VGA vent.

Here is a direct link to the case specifics: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ultra/XBlaster/

Here are the components inside:

• CPU: i5 4670k OC'd to 4.2ghz
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
    Cooling: EVO 212 (1 fan pushing)
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce 3X OC
    Case: Ultra X-Blaster Mid-Tower
    Case fans: 2x120mm Cooler Master fans (1 back for exhaust, 1 front for intake)

Now, the EVO 212 fit, which I was very happy with. However, I had to remove the CPU duct in order to fit it (don't really care about it).

Now, the question is this; since I am not using a stock heatsink\fan that is not utilizing the CPU duct\exhaust (which is on the side of the case). Should I cover the CPU duct up? I cannot fit a fan on it for intake since the EVO is sitting closely to it. Or leave it as is?

Also, there is a VGA exhaust vent below the CPU duct vent. Should I cover that as well? I was thinking maybe putting a fan just outside the case blowing in since I have one nearby anyways.
What would be the best for this situation?

My CPU temps are somewhat acceptable, with the hot weather my house can reach up to 95F since I do not have AC, so it is currently hard to gauge what the normal temps would be at the moment (I completed this build 2 days ago). The CPU hits 65c during HEAVY gaming (Guild Wars 2 WvW). I am wondering if adjustments to the case can assist with some extra cooling.

Cryoburn101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
In my experience, having as many ways for air to get through works best. In your case, if I understand correctly, there really isn't any need to cover up the ducts unless it might look better.
Try experimenting with it. Check your ambient temperature, then the CPU temperature. After that, let your PC cool off and then cover the vent. Repeat steps 1-2. Then see if covering lowers/raises the temp of your CPU.
I don't see any reason to cover the exhaust below that CPU duct, but you could again try experimenting.

When it comes to air cooling, your CPU temps rely a LOT on the ambient temperature. Lower room temps, lower CPU temps. Since you are getting up to 95F in doors, your probably going to see higher CPU temps. I consider 65c fine, and with 95f ambient that's about as good as it gets.