SSD for notebook

carpediem2

Reputable
May 16, 2014
If i replace notebook's hard drive with SSD lets say 120 Gb may i make 2 partitions- one for system windows and one for data -first 60 Gb and second 60 GB ?
What improvement to expect in speed in following operations - copying large files processing Word / notepad + + large files , compressing / decompressing files , video encoding , general speed of the system ( opening programs, multitasking, opening multiple tabs in Firefox)
What wil be more effective in these operations- more CPU power or SSD instead of slow HDD? Thanks ! ..

I don't know that you will see any benefit from partitioning the SSD. If it's in your budget I suggest you go with a larger drive as you will surprised at how quickly a 120GB will fill up and keep in mind that you need to keep a minimum of 10% of the drive space free for optimum performance. As for video encoding it would be better to have a second drive for storage as storing the rendered files on the same drive as the source files is not as efficient. If a second drive is not an option then you definitely want a larger drive or consider outputting the rendered files to an external drive.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
You seem like a power user. Thus, unfortunately, I also recommend that you look into at least a 256 gig drive, or accept the fact that you won't be doing any serious heavy work with your notebook. I mean, compress/decompress/encoding are usually desktop oriented power tasks after all.

Another approach is the super active USB3 drive approach. You take a fast speed USB drive, and use that for a lot of the stuff, keeping only the vital files left on the SSD. You constantly back up the data on a bigger drive in your main desktop. You also output encoding stuff directly to the USB.

carpediem2

Reputable
May 16, 2014

Thank you for your answer - very useful!