Which monitor would be best suited for my needs?

G

Hello,

I'm trying to pick out a good monitor that also isn't going to take a huge chunk out of my budget, but I'm unsure what to get. This monitor is going to be part of a brand new PC build that I plan to use for mostly art and design purposes, as well as watching and creating media, and some light gaming.

Originally I was going to get a dual monitor setup but I've been hearing about ultra wide monitors lately, and I'm wondering if that may serve me better even though 21:9 is an odd aspect ratio. I also considered getting an ultra wide and a second monitor, because if I'm recording from my screen to upload on YouTube I want to record in 16:9 since it's so common. I don't think I would be able to change that aside from getting a 16:9 monitor, but I may be wrong, does anyone know a work around?

There are so many options that I really just don't know what to pick, but my top priorities are that things look nice and are preferably colour accurate, that I can multitask, and that I can record in the proper aspect ratio. This one looked good to me for an ultrawide display http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005628CVF - I had no idea what to pick if I didn't go ultra wide though, since there are a lot more options.

I was also just wondering, 8bit is all anyone needs since we can't actually see all the colours in 10bit right? Plus 10bit screens seem to cost a lot more than 8bit panels, and if I don't need it no point in wasting money.

I did the questionnaire, and these are my answers. I hope someone can help me pick a monitor.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? Canada

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? Digital & traditional art editing, video recording & editing, 3D animation and modelling with CAD programs, and some gaming

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? 1080p or higher (not something super expensive though), and I don't have a preferred screen size. I just don't want something massive like a 32" because of how close to my face the screen(s) will be.

4. What refresh rate do you want? I don't think this matters much, does it? I don't know what I would need to render and view 3D smoothly, but with G-sync shouldn't everything be smooth?

5. How much are you looking to spend? Preferably not more than $450 /w tax on a single screen or $800 if I get two, but I can be flexible if it's a good deal.

6. Brands Preferred? Samsung & ASUS

7. Brands Not Preferred? I don't have a specific brand in mind but any brand with terrible customer support and warranty is a brand I would like to avoid.

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? Maybe, if needed I will.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? I haven't picked my GPU yet but it is likely I will get a Ge Force GTX 760 or 770 with 3-4 GB vRAM.

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). I don't think it matters much, unless I'm recording my screen with a capture card which requires HDMI, so I don't always need HDMI.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? No

Solution
+1 for ultrasharp, it would be best for rendering, editing, etc but prob won't be that great for gaming. I've heard it has input lag that makes some games harder to play.

Another option would be ASUS MX279H. I believe this monitor is better suited for gaming, but since I haven't used either of these, I can't say for sure. I have seen use the MX279H for gaming before though, and I don't think I've seen someone use an ultrasharp for gaming.

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-MX279H-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400271936&sr=1-1&keywords=mx279h

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
+1 for ultrasharp, it would be best for rendering, editing, etc but prob won't be that great for gaming. I've heard it has input lag that makes some games harder to play.

Another option would be ASUS MX279H. I believe this monitor is better suited for gaming, but since I haven't used either of these, I can't say for sure. I have seen use the MX279H for gaming before though, and I don't think I've seen someone use an ultrasharp for gaming.

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-MX279H-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400271936&sr=1-1&keywords=mx279h

Solution
G

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Dell because they seem to always price things higher than their competitors with the same stats, and I've heard horrible things about their customer service.

That ASUS monitor looks really nice though, I might get that for gaming unless I find something better that still looks nice. The gaming monitor isn't my top priority right now though, I just need something that will be amazing for my art editing, and for rendering right now and I can get the other one later when better sales come.