Crysis 3 Low FPS On A R9 295X2 at 1080p

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
I use a 1080p 120hz monitor and for some reason on the max settings I am getting around 70 fps. Shouldn't my card be giving me more? Or does that sound normal? I know this game is very demanding, but yeah I just would like to ask the community and get their input. Thank you very much for reading. I look forward to hearing your replies.

Edit Reason. I get around 70-105 FPS.

Solution

Zazally, this is normal if 8x msaa is enabled.

What CPU do you have?

Also, the game is going to VARY a lot so to compare to the benchmark you have to use the EXACT spot. Since 1440p is about 30% more demanding than 1080p and you state you get between 70FPS and 105FPS you may not have an issue.

Not enough information to say what's going on.

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
Thank mr91. Msaax8 is what really kills the GPU then ahaha. Thank you for your assistance guys. BF4 seems to run so much better and look much better than Crysis 3 in my opinion. I am getting such smoother game play on BF4.

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
I felt a small FPS hit, but I am very fussy and I notice these things. It is stupid really at how fussy I can be. I am loving the new look though. I don't even know what it does to be honest, but it made it better.

mr91

Distinguished

I posted the Wikipedia explanation for SSAA below.

Supersampling is a spatial anti-aliasing method, i.e. a method used to remove aliasing (jagged and pixelated edges, colloquially known as "jaggies") from images rendered in computer games or other computer programs that generate imagery. Aliasing occurs because unlike real-world objects, which have continuous smooth curves and lines, monitors can display only discrete points of light called pixels. Since pixels are uniformly colored and always of the same shape, lines become jagged. With supersampling, samples are taken at several instances inside the pixel (not just at the center as would be done by default) and an average color value is calculated. This is achieved by rendering the image at a much higher resolution than the one being displayed, then shrinking it to the desired size, using the extra pixels for calculation. The result is a downsampled image with smoother transitions from one line of pixels to another along the edges of objects.

The number of samples determines the quality of the output.

mr91

Distinguished

That is motion blur, I usually disable it however it looks okay in BF4.

I suggest you disable it in Crysis 3 unless you like the motion blur.

mr91

Distinguished

That's Normal, Playing bf4 @ 1080p with 200 % scaling with 120 fps is very demanding on the graphics card, cpu and ram.

200 resolution scaling renders bf4 at 2688x1512 on the GPU before resizing the image to 1920x1080, increasing the amount of detail per pixel.

This is just an educated guess based on 2x ssaa, just to give you an idea how much stress the card is under when ssaa is enabled.

You should also make a bf4 video lol

what cpu cooler are you using for your 4770k?

mr91

Distinguished

Noctua makes great coolers, I'm using a Noctua for my setup.

Did you enable 4x ssaa and Tress fx in tomb raider?

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
I sure did mr91. I know nothing about PC's. I got my friend to build my pc. I told him that I wanted the best possible PC I could get so he wrote down what I need and what I needed to pay. My friend said he is using a single 290x and he is lucky to get 50fps on max settings on Tomb Raider. I am happy knowing I am getting 40-50 fps more than he is.

I have said before and I say it again.
Do not post things that will enable strangers access to your personal information such as facebook profile.
Please post on online image sites such as imgur, and make ONLY the intended portion visible.
You won't believe what can happen to people that don't protect their identity. The world has all kinds of people.