2 Different Video Cards

Grim015

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hello, i ordered a new video card, ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II Matrix Platinum. My old 7770 wasn't enough for me. I have 2 monitors and i wonder if i can plug the main monitor(for games) into the R9 and the second monitor plug into the 7770 where i like to stay on YouTube, Facebook,watch a film, etc. I don't want to use any crossfire between them...i don't know if its possible.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 MOBO: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
GPU:ASUS Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition DirectCU Top

Solution
You can but there's no point really. The R9-280X can handle both and having the 2nd screen open shouldn't impact a game much.

You can test this yourself by running a benchmark with the 2nd monitor On then repeat when it's off (preferably something repeatable like the Far Cry 2 or Metro 2033/LL benchmarks).
If you have two pcie x16 slots, certainly.
Go ahead and test it out.
But... it will not really gain you anything.
I tried that and there was no benefit over attaching the side monitor to the single graphics card and gaming on the other single monitor.

You can but there's no point really. The R9-280X can handle both and having the 2nd screen open shouldn't impact a game much.

You can test this yourself by running a benchmark with the 2nd monitor On then repeat when it's off (preferably something repeatable like the Far Cry 2 or Metro 2033/LL benchmarks).

Solution