Learning VPN Information and Uses

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
I am trying to learn what VPN is. If I had an asus router and enabled the VPN function where it becomes a VPN server and then went to say a family members house, connected to their wi-fi, then enabled the VPN to my router on the device I was using would I be able to access items on my home network like printers, my media server, etc? Also, would I get the download speeds of the family members wifi or of my on wifi back at my house, and say they had a monthly data quota, would using the vpn count against their quota? Thanks for all information sorry for so many questions I just want to know exactly how to use it and what it is for other than unblocking blocked sites and securing data.

The vpn counts against any quota. You would be able to access the stuff in your home network. The limiting factor is likely going to be the upload speed at your house but it depends which way the data is going. You will be limited by the lowest speed either up or down on whichever internet connection is slower.