Typical "need advice for my first build" thread

Daniel Hurry

Reputable
May 17, 2014
As with many other threads i've seen, i'm building my first PC soon. It'll be used for gaming, livestreaming, 3d modelling/rendering and music recording.

Here are the planned specs - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/danielhurry/saved/4E79

Now the problem is, I've heard different things from different people (none of which are experts) about what PSU size i'd need. Some people say it's not enough, some say it's too much.
I am planning in the fairly-distant future to add custom liquid cooling and another GPU in SLI, but I'm really unsure if I need a bigger or smaller PSU, or if the one I've chosen is just right.

Also, is there anything I may have missed or would be better off with/without/changed? I'm looking to have it for a long time, so it would need to be as "future-proof" as it can be without going over that budget.

I must also add that the i7-4790 is only in that list because the 4790k isn't out yet. I'll be getting the 4790k.

Any help would be absolutely brilliant and thank you in advance.

sonny8888

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Hi, Daniel, that is a great build but I would recommend some changes.( sorry if you find me offensive)

CPU) I think you should change the i7 4790 to the i7 4770k so that you can easily overclock the cpu.

CPU COOLER) Leave it if you're overclocking with the 4770k. If you are sticking with the 4790, take it away and use the stock heatsink.(if you want your cpu to run cooler, buy a budget cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO)

Motherboard) I think you should change it to a budget Z97 board, but if you do extreme overclocking or like the looks of ROG boards, stick with the Maximus VII Hero.(Why did you add another Maximus VII hero as custom part?)

RAM) For your uses, 16GBs will be just nice so stay with it.

STORAGE) The sandisk ultra plus and the barracuda is a great choice so stay with it.

GRAPHICS CARD) Unless you're doing multi monitor 4k, the 780ti is the best you can get, so stay with it. If you are really doing multi monitor 4k, go with the titan black just because of the frame buffer.

Case) it's all personal

Power Supply) The corsair rm series power supplies uses cheap capacitors, so i would recommend a higher quality power supply such as the EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular Power Supply.

Peripherals) All are personal, I wouldn't dare change anything :)

EDIT: More PSU power dosen't hurt, so 850W will do just fine for your SLI in the future. Here's the Updated Build based on the above.

Daniel Hurry

Reputable
May 17, 2014
You haven't been offensive at all, your help is what I'm here for.

All great valid points, I am waiting on the 4790k to come out early june, so that's the reason i have the 4790 on there as a place holder. I was going to go with the 4770k until I found out about the new CPUs.

I must have added the other maximus vii hero as a custom part because it wasn't originally a choice on pcpartpicker. Ignore that mistake.

As for the PSU, i'm glad you told me. I'll definitely be changing that to your recommendation. It's also cheaper, so that's an even bigger plus.
Do you think 850w would be recommended for my uses though/

sonny8888

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Actually 850W is a bit too much, but If you like to add another 780ti then it would be just fine. A bigger PSU dosen't hurt, the PSU only takes what it needs from the wall, so you should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS