G-sync sill viable? GTX 780 or r9 290x? Looking for a quiet GPU.

jamster7777

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi, I am in the market for a new GPU and up until this point I have been pretty much set on getting a gtx 780 (probably the Direct CuII one from Asus). The original plan was to buy this now, and then when 1440p IPS G-Sync monitors come out, buy one of those :).

However, recent developments on the whole G-Sync scene have caused me to doubt my plans. VESA's decision to implement AMD's alternative into Display Port seems like a bit of a G-Sync killer. I can't see many monitor manufacturers spending extra on implementing G-Sync when there is a free alternative (unless they are paid by Nvidia). So I suppose my main question is - is G-sync still coming? And I mean properly, where it is supported in most good games and I will have a wide range of 1440p IPS monitors to choose from once I have enough money (probably Christmas this year). Maybe even to the extent where it is implemented on some of those 21:9 monitors, something which I am seriously considering.

I am currently running an AMD Radeon 7870. However, I have been set on moving to Nvidia for a while now. This is for many reasons. I like many of their special features such as GPU Boost 2.0 and PhysX. I also am really fed up of the AMD Catalyst Control Centre. It is badly laid out and difficult to find stuff, and from what I have used on my brother's PC, the Nvidia alternative is a lot better. My current card also runs fairly hot and loud, and with this upgrade I plan to continue on my goal to having a near silent PC.

However, with these recent developments I am now considering a 290x instead of a 780. Specifically, this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-Tri-X-Graphics-Express/dp/B00I7N9E9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400453442&sr=8-1&keywords=290x

The thing that puts me off though is the fact that I have heard about how hot and loud the 290x runs. I know that was with the stock cooler, but surely these problems still exist even on a non reference cooler?

So, in summary, my priorities are:

1) The 1440p IPS 60Hz (or more) G-sync/Adaptive-sync experience. (OR possibly a 21:9 monitor with G-sync/Adaptive-sync)

2) A silent GPU at idle and near silent under load.

3) Nvidia features

4) Performance

And of course, keeping the card reasonably cool where it will run comfortably for at least the next 2 years.

I am looking at the 780/290x price range (so anything between £300 and £400), and ordering from the UK.

With these points in mind, which card should I buy? 780 or 290x? If G-sync is still viable and not ludicrously expensive then I'll be going Nvidia :). Thanks in advance for any help you can give me (and sorry for such a long post, I kind of waffled a bit :D)

teriyakiturtle

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
1) By Christmas, freesync will be out...maybe, I am leaning towards it because it will be so much cheaper, nvidias g-sync carries a hefty premium and its available on one monitor now for £600. And freesync will be built into the new display port so it won't cost much to implement and in theory should support any monitor with the new display port connection. Whether they make it work with just amd cards we dont know yet.
2) 290x reference card is the jet engine , reference cards are usually terrible on amds side but the tri-x OC runs just as hot as the 780 at 60 ish degrees and runs just as quietly and with non reference designs there seems to be near silence under load.
3)Nvidia has good features and I'm not a fanboy at all so I just feel that you need to get what you prefer. I really like the boost I get from mantle on bf4 and when it's implemented to new games it will be great, as for drivers and does suck but you don't need to do much with it unless you won't to overclock but the non reference 290x's are highly oc'ed anyway.
4) 290x for performance definitely and it's a tad cheaper in the UK at £360 for the tri-x card!

I saved my life money instead of a 780ti to get an ultra wide 1440p monitor which is bliss. But it's up to you, price to performance is usually key for me !

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Don't you guys in the UK get the first G-sync installed AOC monitor in a few days?

http://www.blurbusters.com/aoc-ships-g2460pg-gsync-monitor/

NVidia made their own scaler for a variable refresh rate, with AMD's solution the manufacturer has to make it, yes that's right not all Display Port 1.2a will have adaptive-sync so extra cost will be a factor for both with NVidia still taking the higher road as usual but it shouldn't be that different.

jamster7777

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for the replies :D Sorry it took so long to get back to you I have been thinking a bit about it.

I have decided to go with a r9 290 (non 'X' version) Vapor X. I could get a 290X tri-x for the same price, however the vapor X cooler looks awesome, and going 290X will give me barely any performance increase. It supposedly runs really quiet and cool, and it fits the colour scheme of my rig perfectly! :) The backplate and the glowing sapphire logo tops it off for me, it will look great in my windowed case.

All of this along with the awesome price : performance ratio of the 290 (even with me splurging on the cooler), and the fact that my next monitor will be a lot cheaper and I'll have a lot more options is why it's the perfect card for me.

Anyway thanks again for the help, will probably post on this thread again to tell u what I think of it once I've got it.