Would this be a semi decent deal in terms of cost efficiency for someone that can't build their own?

sammy sung

Distinguished
Like the title asks. I'm still learning about general hardware knowledge and such, but have no on hands practice yet. I'm a poor, extremely poor, incredibly poor student. Ergo I can't afford to take that first step in assembling my own tower yet. I'd not like to waste my money on that venture when I desperately need a machine of my own, for reliability. Once I have mine, I'll begin slowly saving for something to build for fun/practice. I'd just not want to make all the layman mistakes while assembling something I'm actually desperate for.

Anyway, the purpose of the thread. My friend just built a tower of his own(he doesn't have time enough, or live close enough to help me with a project of my own) and wants to sell it to me for $600. Although I think I could talk him down a pinch regardless of how close the numbers are in terms of profit for him. I'd still like to know at least a ball park of how relatively fair the price is as it stands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
specs

Brand new Thermaltake Chaser A31w/ clear side panel
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.66GHz Q9400 6mb L2
Zalman CPU Cooler with fan control
MSI P35 Platinum Motherboard
6GB DDR2 Ram memory
500GB 7200 RPM
Dual layer DVD RW drive
USB 3.0 Controller card (4 ports total)
MSI GTX 295 896mb X2 (single card SLi) with dual monitor support
Kingwin 800 watt modular power supply with LED accent lights
ESATA port
Front panel media card reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as my personal needs go, I'd like to be able to play skyrim & SWTOR with like 30+ FPS on medium-high settings. I could just benchmark sites for each piece of hardware and get a rough idea, but honestly, I trust the posters here a whole lot more.

Thanks in advance

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's a pretty old combination of expensive parts. The quad core is nice but not very fast by today's standards. The 295 gfx card is a HOT running two GPU card that was a monster in its day. Today it is just an OK gaming card, and doesn't have the features lots of games use today. If it is important you get that machine, don't pay over $400. (He may be able to get $600 by selling it in pieces, though.)
I'm sure it was a nice machine at one time, and probably still looks cool. But it is dated.