what cpu to choose (amd or intel)

bubbleradish

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Hi, im wondering if i should go with amd or intel. I dont want to start an internet war between fanboys, i just want an honest opinion.

I am on a budget ($1700 with monitor and os) and am going to be using my pc for gaming, internet surfing and maybe some editing and streaming. I will have a gtx 780 running on two monitors and will probably not be oc'ing as this is my first build. I would appreciate any replies! Thanks! :bounce:

popatim

Titan
Since you will be doing some editing I would say get an fx8300 series. You will get good game performance (i5 to i7 like depending on the game) and i7 like editing ability (minus quicksync) all for the price of an I5. Be sure to grab at least 16gb of ram and two drives for the editing, you dont want to write to the same drive your reading from) I'm assuming a separate OS SSD on this budget.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey,

as of now to me it looks like getting an Intel z97 chipset motherboard is the wisest thing to do when comes to future-proofing. From what I've read the z97 would also support the Broadwell CPUs from Intel which are probably coming out by the end of this year or maybe early next year. I really doubt AMD will release any more CPUs for their currently available chipsets.