Monitor support design: with feet, or a clamp?

Orthoducks

Reputable
May 19, 2014
I'm shopping for a replacement monitor support (for a 24" LCD monitor with VESA mount). I'd like to receive comments/opinions/rants on whether to get one that rests on the desktop or clamps to the edge.

I understand the difference between the two designs, but I've never used the clamp design, and understanding and experience are two different things.

Which one do you think I will wish I chose, if I choose the other?

If I get a clamp support, are there any particular design features I should look for?

If I get a stand, is there anything I should look for apart from the obvious: big, widely spaced feet?

I would personally go for a clamp, less desk space taken up the better IMO.
Clamp design features, I would be looking for a decent sized clamp so it doesnt make too deep a dent in a wooden desk. Padding is also something, though easy enough to add yourself.

If you go for a stand, you want the base to be heavy, especially if the monitor is to be held a decent distance from where the base makes contact with the desk.

Orthoducks

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Thank you. I'm going to go with the clamp support.

Looking at products, I discovered a new puzzle.

Some sell for $50 or so, and get very good customer reviews.

Others sell for $100 to $250. They're fancier (many have spring-loaded extension arms, for example), but it's not clear whether they're worth the extra cost. Are they more stable? More durable? Or are they just better for someone who needs to move the monitor around a lot?

That is a conundrum I also face right now. The cheap optiions are appealing well, because their cheap, although there are no reviews on them and not much on forums and the like. The expensive ones are well documented, but expensive.
Cant really say, I kind of gave up on finding a monitor stand that suits and have just decided to build my own.

TRENDING THREADS